Rejection: software problems?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

nickpaddy

Rejection: software problems?

Post by nickpaddy »

Several of the articles I've sent in recently have come back rejected with the explanation: "The file does not contain the document text. " This has never happened before and I was wondering if it was a software problem somewhere, maybe at my end, maybe at CC's?

I write in Microsoft Works, and save the files as Word 6.0/95 .doc's. For some reason only about a quarter of my submissions come back with the "file does not contain the document text".

Can anybody think of a reason for the text of the document disappearing somehow after I've sent it and before the Ed can read it?

Ps. On a side note, I thought blog articles could be in the 1st person? Recently had one rejected for this reason.

Keep up the good work Ed.
nickpaddy

Re: Rejection: software problems?

Post by nickpaddy »

Actually forget the PS. about 1st person blogs, just been trawling through the forum back posts and found the answer to that question myself.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hi Nick,

I don't know what's going on with your files. Some of them I open and I get a blak page with a lot of ############'s at the top. And that's all. One you resubmitted was fixed the second time around. So . . . maybe you can repeat the magic words over the other files?

If anyone has a suggestion about what Nick can do to make sure his files aren't corrupted or don't contain hieroglyphics, it would really help.

Thanks,
Ed
nickpaddy

Post by nickpaddy »

Well as long as you don't mind the fact that they might come out as gibberish or blank I'll keep trying to resubmit then I guess. If anyone can suggest a reason or explanation I would be extremely grateful, and it would save Ed a bunch of time sending me rejection notices...
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I can't say on how to fix the problem, but I can suggest OpenOffice.org. It's free software that let's you write in Word .doc format, .pdf, plain text, or .odf (open document format the ISO standard, though not accepted here). The nice thing too is this software is community driven, so it is always free and updated with new features. Also, the interface mimics the major Microsoft products.

You can download it straight from the OpenOffice.org website. It's what I use so I don't have to worry about keeping up with the Joneses... for example, there is testing going on right now and OOo 3.0 released in September will have .docx support. Try it out, it might help.

A/S,
EAW
lissie

Post by lissie »

I gave up word years ago because of these types of issues. Use Q10 as a simple text editor and save as text us Openoffice and save as rft format if you want formatting Both of these options are free