article rejection because of sumission guidelines

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

trilob

article rejection because of sumission guidelines

Post by trilob »

I just had an article rejected for the second time but I'm not sure what the problem is. It's an article that was published elsewhere and I did mention that in the summary. I chose article/travel, included the full article in the Office Word 97-2003 document which has worked before, gave the title, number of words, summary (typed out in the box), portion of the article once again in Word 97-1003, and key words. I'm not sure where I've gone wrong since other articles done the same way were accepted.
I won't submit it again since I don't want to be rejected three times, but I'd appreciate any information to help the next time.
Thanks.
BarryDavidson

Re: article rejection because of sumission guidelines

Post by BarryDavidson »

Did you add a price for unique and full rights? If so, it will be rejected.

If it's published under a pen name then you need to make note of that to Ed in the description.
Ed

Post by Ed »

All rejection notices contain reasons for rejection. Please refer to your rejection notice. Even if you submit an article "the right way," we still require that articles follow our guidelines and contain no errors.

Ed
trilob

Post by trilob »

I did put a usage price and zeros for the other two and I did mention it had been published under another name. The reply for rejection simply said be sure to follow guidelines. Must be something in there I'm missing. Thanks for the feedback.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Did you follow the formatting guidelines? Did you include links or web addresses? Did you include photos that do not belong to you or that do and have not been credited as such?
trilob

Post by trilob »

I thought I followed the guidelines. Can't see where I messed up. Didn't include links or web addresses. I did mention some companies and used one as an example because I had used it ( this was a travel piece and this was a private tour company in St. Petersburg, Russia). No photos.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Okay. Now I know who you are and, I believe, what the problem was. I think your long summary wasn't formatted properly - it appeared without spaces between the paragraphs, making it one unreadable chunk of text. Sorry about the confusion; I've been trying to be more specific about this particular submission error. You really should just resubmit it. From what I recall, that was the only problem.
trilob

Post by trilob »

Thanks for sticking with this. I'll resubmit it.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I have had to change the long summary for you. Please make sure there are spaces between paragraphs. This is described in our guidelines.

If there are no spaces between paragraphs, the long description is difficult for potential customers to read.

Thank you,
Ed
trilob

Post by trilob »

Sorry for putting you through the extra work. I'm not sure why I messed this up. I did others correctly.

Thanks again.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Check your automatic settings. There are some which will change the view, or remove spaces when saved. It also sometimes happens when typing in Office 2007 and saving to a different format. What I hate is when you paste from .txt, and it adds two to three spaces in between each line.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I've noticed that if my Word document has assigned spacing between paragraphs rather than requiring me to hit "enter" between paragraphs, that the spacing disappears when copying and pasting. For example, if you go into the Paragraphs settings feature of Word and see a value entered in Spacing > After, it will give the appearance of spacing between paragraphs, but it's not a true break. Change the Spacing > Before and Spacing > After settings to read 0 points and then get into the habit of using your Enter key between paragraphs. Hope that makes sense.

You can also check to see if you have true spacing between paragraphs by clicking the backwards P icon (it looks like the paragraph symbol). It will show you if you have paragraph breaks or not.