Rejection for spelling errors, but can't find any errors?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

GoingGrey

Rejection for spelling errors, but can't find any errors?

Post by GoingGrey »

I'm new to ConstantContent. My very first article, " "Twelve Simple Ways to Save on Your Propane Costs This Year," was rejected because "This article contains spelling errors or typos." For the life of me, I cannot find a single spelling error nor any typos. As a former English teacher, I'm downright anal about spelling! The only possible word that could be construed as incorrectly spelled would be "barbeque" - which is a proper varient of "barbecue." I don't want to risk getting flagged for resubmitting without "enough" revision, but would like some information on what, exactly, was wrong. Suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance!
Ed

Re: Rejection for spelling errors, but can't find any errors?

Post by Ed »

This was an error that spell check should be able to find.

Thanks,
Ed
GoingGrey

Post by GoingGrey »

Thank you for the fast response, Ed. I did use Word's spell check before the article was submitted, and have done so since it was rejected. No errors found. I did find one word choice that could be improved, so I substituted "electronic igniter" for "sparker," which might have triggered whatever spell check program you are using. Plus, it's more professional sounding, even though the article is meant to be for a more casual reader. Although "barbeque" is a perfectly acceptable spelling of "barbecue" - it's in the dictionary both ways! - on the advise of someone else I'm changing that word. On the off chance that maybe Word's spell check function is missing something, I've also now used two different online spell check services, neither of which found anything wrong. So I'm going to resubmit it. Hopefully it'll pass your muster this time. Thank you for your time.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Okay - I really can't remember if this was your article or not, but I'm going to take a shot at it and say that "deliveries" was spelled "deliverys." If this wasn't you, I apologize, and will get back with you when you resubmit.

Thanks for taking the time to check your article over.

Ed
GoingGrey

Post by GoingGrey »

I've got it as "deliveries" in my article, as in...

"Try to time your propane deliveries during the summer months, when costs are typically lower."

That is the only instance of that word in my article. I just wish I saved my original summary... it was pretty good! Now I can't remember what I wrote *laughing!* Trying to re-craft the summary so I may resubmit it now :)
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

Just a little suggestion... sometimes, your Word's dictionary is different than other people's. (Either you've added a word, or someone using your computer has, etc.) If you want to be sure there are no typos, you could visit a website like this one (http://orangoo.com/spell/) and paste in your article, or use your browser's default spellchecker if you have Firefox, etc. Sometimes that really helps me -- I leave out one letter or one word and I'm so sure it's there, and Word's spellchecker doesn't come up with anything, yet another spellchecker disagrees! :oops:
GoingGrey

Post by GoingGrey »

I try to never depend upon a computer's spell check :) They can't find homophones, after all, or other errors! Thanks for the link, I'm not familiar with that website. I just ran my article through it, and it didn't find anything wrong except for the whole barbeque/barbecue thing... which even though I know "barbeque" is a correct spelling varient, I've gone ahead and changed to "barbecue" :)

Have just resubmitted the article - keep your fingers crossed for me!
Ed

Post by Ed »

Your article would not have been rejected for your choice of spelling of the word "barbecue."

Thanks,
Ed