Using the pronoun "one" to avoid the second person...

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

palindrome2

Using the pronoun "one" to avoid the second person...

Post by palindrome2 »

My articles have been rejected because I have used the pronoun "one" in an effort to avoid the second person. My English teachers in college always favored this technique because it is a sign of proper and elegant form. However, it appears to be too archaic for Constant-Content and even I even get chastised for clarity for using it!

You can't get away with using "you" in an undergraduate essay or graduate thesis, so why should Constant-Content reject it based upon these standards?

Treat it how you will, CC, but I would like this post to at least warn other writers of my difficulties in getting accepted using it, and perhaps hear some comments about it.
palindrome2

Re: Using the pronoun "one" to avoid the second person...

Post by palindrome2 »

Also, stating from the "getgo" in your help section that you PREFER the second person would be helpful.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

hmm, are you sure that was the reason? I always thought CC allowed using second person rather than required it.

btw, it's pretty common in content writing to use second person. I think (unless it's requested) that you might find a more attractive article for a customer using second person. I know it doesn't conform to college standards, but most people like a conversational tone in their web content.
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Are you certain your article was rejected for using "one" per se, or was it a question of clarity? Feel free to post a sentence or two if you're not sure.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Perhaps the entire voice of the article was too academic or formal for this site? The use of "one" in second person has fallen out of favor, especially on the Web. I know, it goes against what we were taught, but the Internet style is its own unique beast. Short paragraphs, easy-reading sentences, and a less formal style are hallmarks of Web content writing as are subheadings and bullet points.

While one may wonder if a single use of the word (as in this sentence) would result in a rejection notice, it's possible that the article was overly formal and perhaps old-fashioned sounding. I haven't read the article, so I can only speculate.

4Rumid questioned clarity as well. Perhaps it's a pronoun issue rather than a voice issue? For example, using 'one' instead of a more descriptive noun might be too ambiguous. It's hard to say without seeing the sentences before and after, of course, but maybe these examples will help:
One should buckle his seatbelt before putting the car in gear.
Drivers should buckle their seatbelts before putting the car in gear.

Heavy backpacks are hazardous to one's health.
Heavy backpacks are hazardous to students'/campers'/hikers' (depending on the context of the article) health.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Here is a similar discussion about he/she vs. they (or one)

http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... oun#p39298
Ed

Post by Ed »

It is perfectly acceptable, and sometimes necessary, to use the second person for web content, as Lysis pointed out. With that said, it is possible to address and/or engage the reader without using the word "you" at all. It depends upon your intended audience and the nature of the article.

On the other hand, the use of "one" will quickly turn off a casual reader. (We in the web writing world are often reminded of the short attention spans of web readers.) Even in a formal essay, the use of "one" should be kept to a minimum. Sentences can always be reworked to eliminate the use of the pronoun "one." For example:

Formal: One should avoid writing like Charles Dickens.
Casual: You should avoid writing like Charles Dickens.
To the point: Don't write like Charles Dickens.
Softer, but still to the point: Avoid writing like Charles Dickens.

Also, consider the following:
Charles Dickens was a great writer in his day. However, one should avoid mimicking the style in which Charles Dickens wrote. Accepted styles of writing have changed, and one should be sensitive to these changes. (Formal, unclear. Who's "one"? Writers?)

Charles Dickens was a great writer in his day. However, writers should avoid mimicking the style in which Charles Dickens wrote. Accepted styles of writing have changed, and those seeking publication should be sensitive to these changes. (Formal. Clearer.)

Charles Dickens was a great writer in his day. However, we should avoid mimicking the style in which Charles Dickens wrote. Accepted styles of writing have changed, and we should be sensitive to these changes. (Conversational. We - the writer and the readers - are all in this together!)

Charles Dickens was a great writer in his day. However, you should avoid mimicking the style in which Charles Dickens wrote. Accepted styles of writing have changed, and you should be sensitive to these changes. (Conversational. I have knowledge about this subject and I'm telling you what you should do. That's why you're reading this article, right?)

Given these examples, it's important to note that it's still possible to be less formal and not use the second person or first-person plural when it refers to the readers and writer collectively.(Do not use the first-person plural to refer to the author.) But that's off topic.

An article won't be rejected for a solitary use of the pronoun "one," but using this pronoun throughout the piece (or switching between "one" and "you," which poses problems with consistency) will result in rejection. Why? For the reasons already stated:
- It's too formal.
- It's unclear.

The caveat is that we occasionally get more formal essays. Even in these cases, the use of the word "one" is kept to a minimum, because what "one" thinks or does is not usually relevant to the essay, or there is a more specific subject being discussed, as in the example Celeste gave. The bottom line is that no one really ever has to use the word "one" as a pronoun.

You can find a good discussion about how "one" sounds to the reader here:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/on ... s-you.aspx

For more exploration into this topic, take a look around at some articles from some of your favorite sources of information. How does the writer engage the reader? Does he or she use the second person? If not, it is implied? Eliminated?

Thanks,
Ed