Semicolon Errors

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

lina13

Semicolon Errors

Post by lina13 »

Hi, I am new to this site and have had an article rejected twice already. I am a bit scared of submitting it a third time, so thought I would write in for advice.
The rejection message says, 'We cannot consider content with semicolon errors'. I edited the article and thought that I found the mistake, so I changed the semicolons into commas which seemed more appropriate in hindsight. I reviewed the write-up about semicolons and common mistakes, and thought that I had it okay. Unfortunately I have received my second rejection now with the same message about semicolon use. The problem is that the second article that I submitted has no semicolons in it whatsoever, so I am not sure what I have done wrong. Can anyone help?
Thanks very much!
Celeste Stewart

Re: Semicolon Errors

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Maybe there was a sentence that NEEDs semicolons instead of the other way around?

For example:

Bob expects his employees to: show up on time, dress neatly, with freshly ironed shirts, smile regardless of whether they are happy, sad, or indifferent, and do so for minimum wage.

Bob expects his employees to: show up on time; dress neatly, with freshly ironed shirts; smile regardless of whether they are happy, sad, or indifferent; and do so for minimum wage.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Actually, the resubmission appeared to be without changes. There was more than one misused semicolon in the piece, and these appeared intact. If you removed the semicolons from your piece, it may be that you uploaded the wrong file or forgot to save your changes?

Thanks,
Ed
lina13

Post by lina13 »

Thanks very much for the quick replies! I did wonder whether I may have uploaded the wrong file; what a pain! I'll try again, although I think it may be my last shot as it will be the third time. Apologies for sending the same file twice; must be annoying for you.