American/English writing warning!

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

NealGreene

American/English writing warning!

Post by NealGreene »

Just had my first few articles rejected for spelling errors and some grammar. Just a heads up to everyone used to writing using British standards! Colour/color, S's instead of S's. Changed my spell-check to American English and picked up loads...

Grammar errors were my fault and should have been removed during the editing process. Good to see the standard of writing here is very high and that Ed is very attentive.
JD

Re: American/English writing warning!

Post by JD »

You shouldn't have had an article rejected just because it was written in UK English. You can write in UK English or US English, just don't use both in the same article. And just to make life more interesting for you, if you're writing in US English, you might want to be careful not to include certain idioms that are popular in the UK, and which may leave many US readers a bit baffled. It's the same language but different remember.

Good luck!

Jane
PeggyTee

Re: American/English writing warning!

Post by PeggyTee »

All my articles are written in UK English and none have been pulled up short for it. As long as you keep conventions consistent, you should be ok. In fact, some customers from Australia or the UK may prefer articles written in UK instead of US English, so there is a market for both!

Peggy