Chinese characters?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

AndrewTanner

Chinese characters?

Post by AndrewTanner »

I'm new to CC, and have experienced my first article rejection. Six of seven articles have made it past review, so I like to think I'm sufficiently competent to sell writing through CC!

My question regarding the rejection: What does "Article specifically contains Chinese characters in place of text." mean?

The overall rejection was for spelling errors, and that was the specific reason given. I have no problem at all doing another close read to catch anything I missed, and I appreciate the specific detail given in the review email. But I don't know how Chinese characters could have made it into my text. I wish I spoke a Chinese dialect but sadly do not, and I do not know how to include Chinese characters in text. I'm wondering if this is a rejection reason anyone else has seen before. I write in Open Office and save documents in .doc format, and I wonder if something converted incorrectly.

The article was technical in nature, and there are unit abbreviations and model numbers (lbs, 4x, FGM-148). Does anyone with experience using Open Office know if there's a bug or conversion issue lurking about?
jadedragon

Re: Chinese characters?

Post by jadedragon »

If you copied some text from somewhere you may have picked up some Chinese by accident. It may not look like anything to you because you have to have Chinese font installed on your computer to view them. Try highlighting all the text and see what comes up.
AndrewTanner

Post by AndrewTanner »

I very rarely cut and paste anything when writing something other than email, but I will double check. My fiancée suggested I take the text into notepad and see if anything shows up there, but I don't see a thing. I hope Open Office's conversion isn't hitting a bug.

Thanks for the advice!
AndrewTanner

Post by AndrewTanner »

Thank you for the help! It went through this time.

Cheers,
Andrew