Inadequate Proofreading?

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Zabrina

Inadequate Proofreading?

Post by Zabrina »

I'm fairly new to Constant Content, but I have been writing for years now. I just received my first rejection. The reason given was: "This article has not been adequately proofread."

This is puzzling me to heck and back because I proofread at least three times before submitting an article anywhere, particularly here, since I know the guidelines are quite strict. I reread the article twice more, and I can't find any missed spelling or grammar mistakes. The only possibility that I can see is the word "homeschool" and its variations such as "homeschooled", which Word's default dictionary does not recognize, but the requester wishes it used, and standard usage dictates it to be correct.

Is it possible to shed some light on this (hopefully before the request deadline closes)? Is Word's dictionary one of the mainstays of the acceptance/rejection process? I'm going through and replacing general uses of the word "they" with "he", because in one or two spots it might have sounded awkward, in case that's it, before resubmitting.

Thanks so much! :)
Ed

Re: Inadequate Proofreading?

Post by Ed »

The error is in the first paragraph. An errant "a" or something similarly small but consequential. I stopped reading at this point, so please carefully examine the entire article or have someone else take a look at it for you if you keep missing errors.

I don't recommend anyone rely on spelling or grammar software, and I don't rely on them either.

Thanks,
Ed
Ed

Post by Ed »

The error is still present. Please check your article carefully for further errors so that it is no rejected again.

"This fear is a normal and even common for homeschooling parents, particularly those new to it."

These tips may help with self-editing:
http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... =4&t=14407

Thanks,
Ed
Zabrina

Post by Zabrina »

My goodness, even reading aloud didn't catch this one! I commend your sharp eyes! :) I'll resubmit now that I've fixed it.