Numbered lists (and other newbie questions)

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

simonkagwe

Numbered lists (and other newbie questions)

Post by simonkagwe »

Hi everyone,

I am aware that numbered lists are allowable as long as double spacing is used between each item and that identation is not allowed. I'm however not clear on how to format the steps of my "how to" article:
1.One
(a) something
(b) something else

2. Two

3. Three

I have appropriately double-spaced the 1,2 and 3 and they are not indented. What spacing should I have for a and b? Should a and b be indented given that they are under 1?

Another question: In my article, I have sentences like 'Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut down your computer'. Will this be deemed an error of some sort maybe because of using '+' or because Ctrl, Alt and Del are not English words?

Regarding acronyms: I'm writing an article regarding web design, its intended audience being folks with basic knowledge on the internet and web design. Should I explain the meaning of terms like HTML or CSS which I've used in my article? I read a reply to an earlier query regarding acronyms saying "acronyms that you feel are common enough don't need to be defined". But what I feel to be 'common enough' (being a web designer) may not be common to other guys, most importantly the guy reviewing my article. :( What to do?

Please help me out? I'd like to get it right the first time.
Ed

Re: Numbered lists (and other newbie questions)

Post by Ed »

Please do not format your articles like outlines with a) and b) points under list items.

I assume your numbered list will be tips or points that will require extended explanation. Please note that we cannot accept lists when each list item is not accompanied by an explanation.

All articles must begin with a proper introductory paragraph, even lists.

The computer - I mean editor - recognizes words that would not be intelligible in speech but are accepted as standard abbreviations in text.

Acronyms
If you are concerned about your acronyms, simply do something like this the first time:

NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) is responsible for launching space shuttles in the US.

Then use the acronym by itself throughout the rest of the piece.

Thanks,
Ed