Fullrights Pros and Cons

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Cheryl McKenzie

Fullrights Pros and Cons

Post by Cheryl McKenzie »

Anyone have comments about selling fullrights while you're trying to establish your credits as a freelancer? Can you list something you've sold like this as yours? I've never sold fullrights before, so am curious about what those of you who are more experienced do.
cbhrbooth

Clips

Post by cbhrbooth »

[quote]Anyone have comments about selling fullrights while you're trying to establish your credits as a freelancer? Can you list something you've sold like this as yours? I've never sold fullrights before, so am curious about what those of you who are more experienced do.[/quote]

I think a lot depends on what you want to do. What do you need to do with your clips (credits)? What market do you want to use them for - website, print, some other market?

For instance, if your goal is to eventually write content for an upscale website that pays $$ per word. You need to know what they want to see - will a link to your CC articles be sufficient or will they want a link to the website that has your article? (Most of my sold CC work is not online where I can find it so I can't use it.) Find out what your "goal" websites want and work towards meeting those needs.

If you are trying to beef up your writing website, then having lots of links/bylines would be a great idea. Again, it just depends on your goals. How will your CC clips best help your writing career? Figure that out and then you'll know if selling fullrights is a good career move for you.

Mary B.
Last edited by cbhrbooth on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheryl McKenzie

Full Rights

Post by Cheryl McKenzie »

Thanks, Mary B. You've given me a lot to chew on. Guess it's time to decide just where I want to end up with this freelancing business.

C.
cbhrbooth

writing

Post by cbhrbooth »

You're welcome! I wish I had asked a few more questions . . . :) I followed a lot of rabbit trails - not always bad - but I'm not enough of a free spirit thinker to rise above it and see a pattern. Live and learn.
Mary B.