Commas and "too"

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Celeste Stewart

Commas and "too"

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Okay, here's another comma question.

*** I have questions about commas too.
*** I have questions about commas, too.

What's the official preference? Are both okay? I find that I'm inconsistent about adding a comma when using the word "too."

*** Do you do this too? or is it, "Do you do this, too?"

*** If you like grammar too, then read this book.

Not sure why this is baffling me today.
mrssultana

Re: Commas and "too"

Post by mrssultana »

My dear husband (also a writer) says I always use too many commas. I was taught that if one paused in a sentence, then a comma should be used to indicate that pause.

It seems that this is not the case now.

So whilst I would probably also put a comma, probably the right thing would not to be to put a comma.

Styles and what is considered 'correct' change over the years.

Mrs Sultana
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Err on the side of caution. While it may be grammatically correct, you're still going to catch hell if you use commas a lot.
topdycke

Post by topdycke »

Hi Celeste,

I too struggle with commas...period. I came across this little ditty which might answer your question.

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-t ... e-too.html

Styles do change and it's so darn hard to keep up.

T
Ed

Post by Ed »

I would include the comma. I feel there is a pause, and I do feel that a comma prior to "too" (at the end of a sentence) is appropriate. Most documentation says it's optional.

Although the following advocates for removing the comma after short introductory phrases such as those that include dates (I am irritated when this ommission occurs - there is a natural pause after "In 1984" or "On July 1st, 1984," just like there would be after "Once upon a time."), it does go into some explanation why the comma can be optional.

http://thegrammarexchange.infopop.cc/ev ... 5346054843
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

[quote="Ed"]"On July 1st, 1984," just like there would be after "Once upon a time."), it does go into some explanation why the comma can be optional.[/quote]

Ed,
I always thought there should be a comma there too. When I've added it in the past, the "comma nazis" hammered me. Thank you for letting me know that I won't get hammered by you if I use it. This makes me happy. I think I'll go write something.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

OK, thanks. I don't usually get too bogged down with comma concerns, but this one had me wondering. I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing as far as how I punctuate "too" - which is using it optionally.