Rejection Question

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Everhelpville

Rejection Question

Post by Everhelpville »

I just received an article rejection with the accompanying explanation: Please make sure your article and the excerpt shown in the content details are free of inappropriate line breaks.

I've scrutinized the heck out of this rejected article looking for inappropriate line breaks and I'm clueless.

I did email, but I've never found that method of seeking help one bit productive.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Rejection Question

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I think this means to go back and look at the way the article displays once you've copied and pasted it into the short and long summary boxes. Sometimes, especially when copying from Word, line breaks get all funky. They may not appear at all making the text look like one big block or there might be extra spaces. Since the article has been rejected, you won't be able to check that one. When you resubmit it, go back to My Content > Edit and see if the line breaks appear as they should.
Everhelpville

Post by Everhelpville »

Thanks, Celeste. As far as I know, that hasn't happened when submitting prior articles so I'm wondering why the format rearranged itself this time.

Is there a way to prevent this, or do I just need to check all future submissions?
Ed

Post by Ed »

It appeared that line wrap was not enabled somewhere in the process of formatting your article - either because you originally used a program like Notepad without line wrap enabled, or because something was lost when you saved your article in another file type. The problem appeared both in the document and in the content details.
Everhelpville

Post by Everhelpville »

Ed wrote:It appeared that line wrap was not enabled somewhere in the process of formatting your article - either because you originally used a program like Notepad without line wrap enabled, or because something was lost when you saved your article in another file type. The problem appeared both in the document and in the content details.
Wow. A response from Ed. I feel encouraged already, even if I don't have a clue what line wrap means. :-) I do use Notepad, so line wrap is no doubt the problem. And since the problem now has a name, I have a better chance of figuring it out...somehow.

Anyway, I've felt much like I'm floundering about in a wilderness since landing here, so it's nice to know Ed himself will occasionally hold my hand. (Herself?)

Thank you, Ed.
Nessiee

Post by Nessiee »

Basically, an incorrect line wrap is when
there are random
linebreaks in your article / description
that
shouldn't be there.

This happens to me quite often when I'm copying from notepad into the long description section where we submit articles. After pressing submit, it is a good idea to go back and look at how things turned out. Sometimes I need to correct the linebreaks when they aren't appearing as they should be in the long description.

As for the document itself... that might be more tricky. As you've said that you are using Notepad, you may want to make sure that the "Word Wrap" option has been checked. It's listed under the "Format" tab. I'm not sure what else could cause that sort of problem. Hopefully that helps a bit :)
Everhelpville

Post by Everhelpville »

Nessiee wrote:Basically, an incorrect line wrap is when
there are random
linebreaks in your article / description
that
shouldn't be there.

This happens to me quite often when I'm copying from notepad into the long description section where we submit articles. After pressing submit, it is a good idea to go back and look at how things turned out. Sometimes I need to correct the linebreaks when they aren't appearing as they should be in the long description.

As for the document itself... that might be more tricky. As you've said that you are using Notepad, you may want to make sure that the "Word Wrap" option has been checked. It's listed under the "Format" tab. I'm not sure what else could cause that sort of problem. Hopefully that helps a bit :)
Thank you, Nessiee. It actually helps more than a bit. Unfortunately, I'm pretty testy with technology. But you've given me a sense of direction: Find the format thingie, find the word wrap thingie, and check it. I can do this. Really. I can. Snif. :D
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Are you using NotePad? The WordWrap function is in the "Format" menu option.

Instead of doing hard returns (pressing enter), let the software create the next line. In other words, only press enter for a new line if you start a new paragraph.
Everhelpville

Post by Everhelpville »

Lysis wrote:Are you using NotePad? The WordWrap function is in the "Format" menu option.

Instead of doing hard returns (pressing enter), let the software create the next line. In other words, only press enter for a new line if you start a new paragraph.
Yes, I'm using Notepad. Thanks for the helpful hint, Lysis. I'll need to retrain my fingers in order to avoid that enter key. Who knew? (You did!)
Nessiee

Post by Nessiee »

Oh, so that was the problem. Glad that's sorted out!
drcmarx

Post by drcmarx »

Hi,

I am a brand new author on this site and had both my first two articles rejected. The one had the following comment
“We do not accept content with grammar errors, instances of awkward wording, or other errors.”

It is a very technical article about “The Different Question Types That Tests Different Levels of Understanding”.

I rechecked the grammar and could not find anything out of the ordinary. I am not sure which English standard is being used, British or US?

Most technical articles may have “awkward wording” to explain the terms, how do I overcome this?
Ed

Post by Ed »

We have no preference over British or UK English. However, even technical articles can be written in clear language. The best ones are.

The majority of our customers are looking for articles that appeal to a broad website audience, so you might reconsider submitting technical articles.

Thanks,
Ed
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

The title is grammatically incorrect -- "Tests" should be "Test" so that it reads, "The Different Question Types That Test Different Levels of Understanding"
drcmarx

Post by drcmarx »

Thanks Ed, will review the type of articles.

Is it possible to only have pictures and images on this site?