new author content protection measures

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

gaanderson

new author content protection measures

Post by gaanderson »

As a new author on CC, I see a lot of posts here about stolen content. It appears it is a major problem on the net. I have to initial questions.

As a new author, are there recommended things I should do to protect my content?

What does this do to a client/author relationship if exclusive rights were purchased and the content is stolen from CC and found somewhere else by the client? Does CC offer any kind of back-up to the author's claims of original content ownership?

Thanks
Gregory
Lysis

Re: new author content protection measures

Post by Lysis »

Hi Gregory,

What I do is take a random sentence from my article and put it into Google alerts. Make sure to put the sentence in quotes, so it looks like:

"something like this is from my article."
gaanderson

Post by gaanderson »

sounds like a good idea, thanks

gregory
PeggyTee

Post by PeggyTee »

Google Alerts have been the way most of my stolen content has been traced - the invisible font in our preview page so far hasn't really worked.

Peggy
Constant

Post by Constant »

We also recommend not posting your entire article in the long summary, and though some of our authors feel it is better promotion we feel that it is better to protect your material by limiting the amount that the public can see. We have a number of protective measures in place so only the most sophisticated thieves are able to steal your articles. Make sure to contact support if you notice articles of your posted elsewhere.

David