References... friend or foe?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

KateWrites

References... friend or foe?

Post by KateWrites »

Hi. Could some experienced authors lend their opinion?

I just read a comment in the tips for writing premium articles that said a lot of internet content is simply regurgitation.

I am wondering if references are considered a form of regurgitation? Is it better to back up an article with an expert opinion, or is this simply rewording and repeating existing content?

Thanks for your opinion!
Celeste Stewart

Re: References... friend or foe?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I don't think using references, even common ones, is necessarily form of regurgitation. For example, I'm sure you'll find a ton of articles with "According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. . ." or "According to the IRS. . ." When used as a supporting element, these add credibility to the article. However, if you're simply rewording the entire source material, then yeah, that would be a regurgitation. The key is to use source material and references to support your topic not simply reword the source material.
KateWrites

Re: References... friend or foe?

Post by KateWrites »

Thanks Celeste...

One thing I really like about CC is the way writers are encouraged to think. Unique voice and original perspective is strongly emphasized. I have found the opposite is true at many other companies I have written for. You are essentially a trained monkey. You find relevant resources, reword and give credit, but there is no encouragement to have a point of view on a subject or try to be persuasive in any way.

I think I'm a little brainwashed at this point. It's gonna take me a while to remember what it is I actually think about things. Sounds ridiculous, but mass production content writing can beat the individuality right out of your work... mine, anyway.

Thanks again for your feedback!