Comma Question

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

CGillingwater

Comma Question

Post by CGillingwater »

I have looked this up online and I am finding different information.

Concerning items in a series, is it:

"apple, pear, and banana"

or

"apple, pear and banana"

I had always, always, always used a comma after every item in a series. Recently, however, it has been drilled into me by Demand Studios that this is incorrect and that the comma should be omitted after the item prior to the conjunction. Purdue University, however, claims differently. I'd like to submit an article, but I'm worried that a faux paus with a comma will result in a rejection. Here's hoping someone can shed some light on this comma mystery. :)
Last edited by CGillingwater on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Comma Question

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Ed prefers the Oxford (or serial comma as it's often called) though he seems to be okay with omitting that final comma if clarity doesn't suffer as a result. I always add it because I believe it's clearer. I do have a client that doesn't want a final comma when the series contains just three items.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

I personally use the serial (oxford) comma because it makes a sentence much more clear. (And if you decide to use it in your article, make sure you are consistent.)

Here's a good explanation on the use of the serial comma:

=> http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/serial-comma.aspx

HTH,
~Sherry
CGillingwater

Post by CGillingwater »

Thank you very much. This is quite a relief.