How short is too short?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Sharion

How short is too short?

Post by Sharion »

How short is too short for an article?

Mine are pretty consisently 500 to 1000 words with most hitting between 600-800. Not intentional, that's just how the words flow for me.

But I have a shortie I'd like to do, a tidbit of info I want to share. Short, super cheap, and usage only so that it gets in front of many eyeballs. It can probably be done in less than 100 words. Any thoughts on how short is too short?
Ed

Re: How short is too short?

Post by Ed »

Egh. Less that 100 words is probably too short. There isn't much room for creating paragraphs in 100 words, and the amount of information (level of usefulness) is also limited.

Thanks,
Ed
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

What would a good minimum be, then? What word count should we never go less than? (Ask once, remember forever :-)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Think blog post - perhaps 250-300?
Ed

Post by Ed »

There isn't a set-in-stone minimum.But a 100-word submission is pushing the definition of the world "article." We don't accept blurbs. Mose likely, whatever it is you want to write about fits into a larger context, so I encourage you to look at the bigger picture.

Thanks,
Ed
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Roger that. Thank you!

Good to ask first. That way I don't overload our wondrous Ed with submissions that elicit an Ugh. Much rather my submissions bring a smile or a nod of approval.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Finally wrote the first draft and it's up over 400 words. I guess I didn't need to worry after all :mrgreen:

Still good to know in case something else comes out as a shortie.