Quoting Friends/Relatives

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

eek

Quoting Friends/Relatives

Post by eek »

It's not that I don't know how to do this, but I want to go about it professionally. One of my current project's topic is genealogy, and I have an aunt who does some serious dabbling, but wouldn't be considered a pro. She gave me some great tips on how to research, which I'd love to use. Of course, I can't say "My Aunt Lucy says..." I'd like to attribute the info to her, but want to protect her privacy. (Lucy is NOT her real name.) :) What do y'all think? Should I generalize her tips without quotes? Would it be acceptable to use her first name (as in "Lucy of Omaha, Nebraska), or even make up a name for her?

My hesitation to print her full name is because of the nature of putting an article up for sale without knowing where it will end up. Maybe I'm making too much of it. Thoughts? Ed? Journalists?
Ed

Re: Quoting Friends/Relatives

Post by Ed »

No, I think you're right to think about this. I think if Aunt Lucy doesn't mind you generalizing her tips, then this seems the most reader-friendly route to go. Because she isn't an expert, the information about where these tips came from may seem irrelevant to the reader.

Thanks,
Ed
eek

Re: Quoting Friends/Relatives

Post by eek »

Thanks, Ed, you confirmed my "gut feeling".