How do you decide on prices?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

VeronicaM

How do you decide on prices?

Post by VeronicaM »

How do you decide on prices for your articles, specifically the usage articles? Do you generally use the suggested CC prices while pricing, or do you price lower than the suggested prices?
GyZ

Re: How do you decide on prices?

Post by GyZ »

I think one probably should set prices according to the license type and the "tightness", the anatomy of the content. Seems to me that there is an infinite foam of pseudo-scientific content on the net that seek to make one believe they offer delicate insight, but ultimately, they are but mechanically worded lullabies optimized for the awareness level of a sedated sloth, frozen in a stone, deep underground. Stuff like - "If you want your ex back, you HAFFTA understand that you need to act counter-intuitively!". An article should tell what to do if you NOT want your ex back, duh.

So far, I only sold usage licenses, this is the license you can sell the text on infinite occasions with. Since such a content necessarily lacks the criteria of being unique to a site, the pricing probably should reflect this trait. (Deficit.) I think customers are ready to give the good old fashioned hurt real bad for their purses if they can obtain unique quality content, but sticking to the right to sell the text on multiple occasions opens up an infinite number of - albeit theoretic - doors.

It's interesting to see that content indeed seems to bestow an impression of its self-esteem upon its superficial spector by its mere pricing: I offered text for $5, then CC declared the minimum pricing of $7, I figured: HAH!, and raised the price of the article to $9, and now it performs better than it did while offered for $5. (knock!, knock!, knock! [not now, Greta Dear!])

I strongly suspect the customer needs to feel she/he bought value, and what other sober initial impression of value can you project than the raw numeric establishment of that? Yet, it is not easy to fool a competent reader, and it IS utterly hopeless to fool a truly experienced one, in my opinion. My point being, I have seen unrealistic pricing on the intarrnet for content that I considered not worth giving my worst encouraging laugh to, and I have seen the opposite, too: inventive content not being purchased simply because of its extremely low price. (I made my very first CC sale at $1, I won't EVER be able to pull that one off again, though I no longer show interest in selling for $1, either.)

In my reality, it is acceptable to ask for a muscular price in case your content is muscular, too. There are probably no 101% proven methods, only methods that work and methods that:

for pessimists:
do not.

for optimists:
work even better.