WTH? Request not Listed

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

deniseg

Re: WTH? Request not Listed

Post by deniseg »

When I first saw the numbers out beside the request I thought that's what they were there for, to let writers know how many articles had already been written. I have only submitted two articles so far, one has been bought, one is in review, and neither were for request. After writing these two articles on the subject we are talking about and reading this discussion, I now remember why. I don't want to waste my time. Knowing there are only a few articles being considered and there is plenty of room for you to get yours in too would be a greater motivator to write to request.
cherylannej

Post by cherylannej »

I'm also finding some aspects of public request frustrating--especially if I submit to a request and it's a very detailed, specific article, but it ends up going on public view without the buyer even reading it?
ProlificScribe

Post by ProlificScribe »

Denise:

I'm with you 100%. I think I'm going to stick to writing whatever I want and perhaps leaving the requests alone for now. I have written 7 articles so far and one was purchased the same day it was approved. Of those 7, two have never even been viewed by the client, one was approved too late and the client had already purchased what she needed. One client really ticked me off because she offered a certain amount for the articles, my price for the article was on the lower end of her budget yet she sent me an email saying she liked my article and sent me an offer for $110 less than what she stipulated her budget to be on the request! Why budget in the $150 range if you're realistically only willing to pay $40 for it? I think I'm going the "if you write it, they will come" route and forget the public requests for now. Especially seeing now how it can first be submitted as a public request (that may or may not show up) only to have it end up being sold for a private request. I eventually took the two articles off of my profile because they were way too specific to ever be sold anywhere other than to her.

Cheryl:

I've had that happen to me with two articles. Actually, I have one right now waiting for the *minimalism* request that has never even been looked at. I wish people realized that when we write an article for a request, that we could be doing something else with our time than penning words that will never even get the slightest perusal. I'm just going to stick to writing my own content and if someone wants it, they can buy it. But as the public request system is now... it's SO not worth my time and effort. Unless it's something I deem capable of being sold to someone else.

But I'm definitely done with very specific requests. I can't sell it anywhere if it's super exclusive. I don't need to increase my portfolio that badly to write for something that's extremely specific that may or may not even get a glance.
deniseg

Post by deniseg »

I am with you. I am just curious now what long-time writers here have to say on this topic. It would be interesting and enlightening to get their opinions and experiences.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I love writing for public requests, even if they are obscure or if I think lots of other writers are also writing for them. They are a terrific way to get noticed by customers. The obscure ones have less competition because writers are afraid of wasting their time. The more popular ones have more competition because writers know that even if the requester doesn't select the article, someone else is likely to do so.

I rarely write for public requests anymore because past customers have liked my work and now issue private requests. Don't be afraid of the risks! Besides, if CC added a function where you could see how many slots are still left, not only would that motivate you to write for the request, it would motivate everyone else. So the risk is still there. If you're interested in a topic and like the price range, go for it. If you're not, ignore it. The best way to get a sense of if a request is filled or not is to keep an eye on the recently sold list or jot down the customer's request rating at the beginning and then see if that number increases.

BTW, one of my bread-and-butter customers initially issued a public request for a very narrow topic. No one else bothered to submit to that request. That customer has purchased over $20,000 worth of content from me and has referred other clients my way. Worth the risk? You bet!

All writing here is on spec, but with public requests, you're that much closer to making a sale because there's a customer right now expressing an interest in the topic. If you simply write what strikes your fancy, you're that much further away because there's no customer specifically looking for that topic. Maybe later, but it's going to take some time.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I also have one submitted to the minimalist lifestyle request. The client didn't view it before it was returned to my profile. However, keep in mind that the expiration date has not yet passed. Some clients wait until the request has expired before viewing the submissions. Even though your article is no longer exclusive to that specific client, he/she can still see that you have submitted to the request. Definitely don't be afraid to submit to public requests. I am still rather new to CC, but the majority of what sales I have made were pieces I submitted to public requests that were either picked up after the expiration date of the request or by a different client. In fact, I just landed my first private request client through a public request. On spec articles are great also, and may generate a few sales eventually. It's nice to mix it up a bit and write both though!
deniseg

Post by deniseg »

Thanks for this great info. It really helps me see the whole picture more clearly.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I just assume that the request already has articles to purchase-and might have already bought-but if it is an interesting topic I'll write anyway. They might as well get my article and they might buy it. Otherwise, it will sell someday. If you write it for a reasonable broad audience you will be fine.
ProlificScribe

Post by ProlificScribe »

Celeste:

You always have really helpful advice; I really appreciate it. I remember when I used to write on e-lance and after writing for a few clients, they ended up using me regularly for well-paying assignments that I didn't have to *bid* on. So I can understand that public requests could lead to private requests. I think the public request feature can frustrate new writers here because we aren't quite sure of the whole process-- there's most definitely a learning curve. But reading and participating in the forum does help because there are the more established writers here to help us dab the wetness from behind our ears LOL.

April:

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one whose article for the minimalist request hasn't been read. I haven't submitted enough public requests yet to see a pattern emerging... and there may not even be a pattern. I'll probably continue to submit for public requests, but I'm definitely going to submit more of my own content. I think it just bugged me that I've written like two articles where the client never even looked at them. However, like you said, some clients may wait until after the expiration date passes to view the submissions. And congratulations on landing your first private request... I hope it's the first of many for you!

-Tara