Can I post my old Suite articles here for usage rights?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

PennieJ

Can I post my old Suite articles here for usage rights?

Post by PennieJ »

Hey all...

I have got a few bits up so far this week and was wondering if it is ok to post Suite101 articles that are out of the one year exclusive electronic repro period here?

I use a pen name on here and my real name on suite - but my real name is the name my CC account is registered under.

If I post articles previously posted on suite under my real name will if flag as plagiarism - or does the system recognise my real name (as it is associated with my account) as well as my pen name?

any guidance appreciated...
BarryDavidson

Re: Can I post my old Suite articles here for usage rights?

Post by BarryDavidson »

As long as the name you use on CC and there are the same, the articles conform to CC guideleines, and only set a usage price for the articles in question.
PennieJ

Post by PennieJ »

Thanks Barry - do you mean my pen name on here has to be the same as my suite name (rather than my real name as listed on my account)? If so I have shot myself in the foot using a pen name on here haven't I? :roll:
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I think they compare both pen name and real name, but I'm just an author who thinks he read that somewhere.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

And I think they look for exact name matches...

Why not clarify with support? Send 'em an email asking the question, then you'll either know the answer or be able to argue your case with them. Let us know the answer because the question comes up a lot.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

I think you can also request someone at CC to change your CC pen name to your real name.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

PennieJ wrote:Thanks Barry - do you mean my pen name on here has to be the same as my suite name (rather than my real name as listed on my account)? If so I have shot myself in the foot using a pen name on here haven't I? :roll:

I'm not 100% certain on that Pennie. I use the same name to publish no matter if it's fiction, poetry, or articles. It's been easier that way. I'd definitely shoot a message to support were I you. What I know for sure is that you must own the rights to the work in question, and it must conform to CC guidelines.

Helium, for example, has a little tidbit deep in their 'terms' which basically says that you may not assign/sell exclusive rights to anything posted there (without their permission which amounts to them selling it for you and keeping most of the proceeds). I feel sorry for the people who have posted their novels, shot stories, and other works of fiction there. Not many publishers will look at anything which the author doesn't own full rights to. On that same thread though, I have several articles originally posted there which have sold multiple times here. They don't make much each time, but selling for usage fifteen times at seven dollars a pop is nothing to sneeze at.