Font on Text Files?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

theblurr

Font on Text Files?

Post by theblurr »

Looking at other peoples articles, text files seem to be the way to go. What confuses me is Constant Content's requirement of Arial font at 12 size. How do I get this on a text file?

P.S. Sorry for the newbie question.
BarryDavidson

Re: Font on Text Files?

Post by BarryDavidson »

The standard font on a text file (MS Notepad is one example) usually conforms to the guidelines. If you transfer it onto Word for example it will usually come up as Times New Roman 12pt. I heard that Arial is now accepted, but I still use Times New Roman. In the most basic terms, a standard txt program is usually acceptable. Just keep in mind that programs like Word, Wordpad, Open Office, etc. can be set to automatically use Arial or Times New Roman in the preferences.
theblurr

Post by theblurr »

Thanks I think I'll just use Wordpad. Didn't even know I had it to you mentioned it. What about subheadings? Can you increase the font on those?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

No need to increase the font size - it is not allowed. I bold subheadings which is allowed.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

theblurr wrote:What about subheadings? Can you increase the font on those?
Jadedragon is quite correct. Anything other than Arial or Times New Roman 12pt will cause the article to be rejected. Don't get too fancy with your formatting - not that you can get "too fancy" with Wordpad. Remember, once an editor gets to an error or something which doesn't conform to the guidelines, they read no further. Period. Even in the regular publishing world a writer isn't supposed to use anything other than the accepted font type and size in their guidelines. Honestly, if you ever had to underline anything which needs to be in bold, italicizes, increased or decreased in size (among other things) in an article or manuscript... We have a little more freedom here. You can for example use bullet lists provided each different part is separated by two lines just like paragraphs (I found this out the hard way early on). You can use bold like Jadedragon suggested.

You write for one of those other "Draconian format style" websites don't you?