Formatting and 12 point

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

valeriejayne

Formatting and 12 point

Post by valeriejayne »

Just wanted to double check. My formatting wasn't rejected but I just want to know other formatting styles that are exepted:
Mine=
Introduction
2spaces
paragraph
2 spaces
paragraph
2 spaces
summary
2spaces
references

OR

Intro.
1 space
para
single space
para
single space
para
single space
summary
single space
ref.

OR
Intro
2 spaces
subtitle with no space between sub title and adjoining paragraph
para.
2 spaces
sub title
para
2 spaces
sub title
paragrapg
2 spaces
summary
2 spaces
references

Are any of these formatting options wrong?? and..after a subtitle do you use : ? or just don't use anything or use a period.?

Just want to make sure I have it right. I have looked at some of the other articles, but some have spelling errors and formating that I didn't think was allowed?? but obviously is allowed?? HELP I only get one more rejection and then I think I get kicked out right?? I am really a professional person and do write about health and professional things. I don't want to get kicked off. I think my hair is turning gray now!! Valerie. Maybe May or Celeste or Ed may have some input??
Celeste Stewart

Re: Formatting and 12 point

Post by Celeste Stewart »

In general, single spaced paragraphs with double spacing in between is required. Here's what I usually do:

Title
byline

Paragraph one or intro text blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blah.

Header if Needed: Colons are a Nice Touch if Warranted
Paragraph two text blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blah.

Headers Don't Always Need Colons
Paragraph three text blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blah.

Headers are Usually in Bold Text
Paragraph text blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blahtext blah blah blah blah blah.

Concluding text blah blah bla. Blah blah blah.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I'm not May, but will April do? :D The best advice I can give you is to calm down and take it slow! :) I personally always use double spacing between paragraphs. I don't usually use references, but I suppose if I did I would probably put 3 or even 4 spaces between the last paragraph of the article and the references to seperate the article from the reference section. When pasting your article excerpt in the long summary, go through and make sure all spacing and other formatting is correct. Sometimes it gets messed up in the process of pasting. I'm not exactly clear on the 3 strikes rule, but I think it is more to the discretion of the eds. Generally, I don't think they count rejections because of formatting errors (unless you keep submitting with the same errors). The 3 strikes rule is more to weed out those who simply do not have a firm grasp on grammar rules, sentence structure, or the English language in general. If you haven't already, check out the Question and Answers section of the forums and read the second thread, "Must-Read Resources - New Authors: Start Here." Good luck and let us know how it goes! Also...just an edit in your post...
formatting styles that are exepted:
should read ...that are ACCEPTED" I know...you are nervous...but watch out for those type of typos in your articles! Good luck!
valeriejayne

Post by valeriejayne »

Oh no! please do not spell check me on the forums, I will fail for sure!!lol

Thanks to both of you! Celeste, don't you write for Helium also? I thought I had seen your name there!

That makes a lot of sense, both posts were helpful..trying to calm down..Ed...please don't kick me out!!

I will try to submit again as soon as I figure out how to change a file to download correctly on here.

I do not understand how to change a file for download onto CC...can someone explain or read my other question in another post and answer??

Thank you both so much!!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I don't write for Helium. I submitted one DVD review years ago. I think it's earned about 11 cents so far. I do submit the occasional article to AC though, so maybe you've seen me there?

I think you have your File > Save As > (file type) answer in the other thread. Good luck with your submission. I hope it all clicks this time around.
valeriejayne

Post by valeriejayne »

Thanks Celeste..it could have been ac, although I don't write very often for them anymore...I am awaiting my review. I hope it went through OK, my article, that is.

Thanks you all for the help, and yes my other question was in another thread and was answered promtly, which was great!

Valerie