Reselling something already published in my name

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

GaryBourque

Reselling something already published in my name

Post by GaryBourque »

If I've published an article on another site (e.g. Helium), but it clearly has my byline, can I also sell it on CC for usage? I use my real name and not a pen name, and my name is relatively unique.

Thanks,

Gary Bourque
Celeste Stewart

Re: Reselling something already published in my name

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Yes, as long as it meets all of CC's guidelines. For example, if the original is written in first person voice, you'll need to tweak it to second or third in order for it to meet CC's requirements. Also, do a quick Google search using a few of the original article's sentences in quotation marks to make sure that no one stolen your article. If so, that will be a problem. (Grrrr content thieves). Hopefully not, but it's smart to doublecheck.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Also remember something like 70% of the sales here are for full rights. You might find it more profitable to do another article on the same topic and put it up at CC for full rights sale.
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Rewrite it, Gary, rewrite it. Publishing an article here at CC is not quite the same kettle of fish as publishing it elsewhere. You will find out, by and by, as I did.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I put some of my articles from Helium up here just to see if they'd sell. A few have sold for usage rights several times, while a few more are just sitting there. I consider the latter as just being there to show some diversity. The former is candy money that gets sweeter every time one of them sells again.
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

I see. Congratulations. You must know a secret that I don't because I have not sold a single article here yet. Still, I am not giving up. I am already earning regular income writing web content so I think I should be able to survive while I learn how to write something that will sell here. btw is Helium good? I have an account there but I am more inclined to publish on Hubpages or Squidoo.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

ThisOldMan wrote:btw is Helium good? I have an account there but I am more inclined to publish on Hubpages or Squidoo.
I don't recommend Helium. Once you have posted anything there, they might as well own it. You can never ask that the article be deleted, assign exclusive rights, etc. If you throw together some articles for their contests, it's not too bad. Just don't post anything you're proud of. Most of the writing there is first person op/ed. They do have a "marketplace" of sorts, but the winners are decided by community ratings. You also have to spend a bit of time there rating others to get any of the ad sharing revenues.

I have Hubpages and Squidoo accounts, but I've put up more work on Triond. I guess I need to check those sites out again.
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

My main interest in Hubpages and Squidoo was the Amazon Associate thing. I plan to put an article or two there to see if I can sell anything. More specifically, to see whether my article has the power to excite the reader to buy the featured products. Kind of like beta testing so that I can write better articles for CC.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

If you are trying to crack Amazon Associates you need to be following this thread http://www.infobarrel.com/forum-topic.php?id=3075 and read this article http://www.infobarrel.com/Make_Money_On ... te_Program
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Thank you for the links. Checking them now.
GaryBourque

Post by GaryBourque »

Well, I posted something just for usage that I have on Helium and it got rejected with the following "helpful" comment:

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

We accept only completely original content.

==== End Editorial Information for Your Article ====

I replied that this thread had informed me that what I had done was okay. I ran the article through Uncover and it of course got a 95% hit on my Helium article, but nothing else got a serious flag. I asked CC twice what the problem was, but so far I'm getting the sphinx treatment from them.
MayMonten

Post by MayMonten »

Are your names exactly the same on both sites? Google shows a Gary Bourque on Helium, but not here.
GaryBourque

Post by GaryBourque »

My pen name here is GCBourque. I don't think it's to hard to deduce that we are the same person. Check out my author pages here and on Helium. It's even the same picture.

Besides, I put up a previous article with the same circumstance, and it was accepted.
MayMonten

Post by MayMonten »

Oh, I don't know then. Maybe you got two different editors for the two articles, and the second one was being very literal about the names having to be the same? Or maybe it was just a glitch?
GaryBourque

Post by GaryBourque »

I changed my pen name on Helium. Now they match.