Help for commas

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

FondRegards

Help for commas

Post by FondRegards »

Hi everyone
I am somewhat ‘comma challenged’. I would be grateful for feedback on my use of commas in these sentences. In the first sentence, is the comma correct before ‘scored’?
In the second sentence, I am not certain whether a comma is needed after ‘vase.’
And in the third sentence, wondering about after ‘death.’

Indeed, 64% of those who received flowers after the first interview, and a striking 84% of those who received flowers after both the first and second interview, scored lower for depression than their baseline.

Points were recorded for correct information on the shape of the vase and color and type of flowers. The activity booklets also figured into the memory exercise.

…“for all sorts of occasions and reasons, through all the milestones of life, from birth to death, and all the important times in between.”
Thank you
jak

Re: Help for commas

Post by jak »

Hi FR. You don't seem particularly comma challenged to me. I'd say your first two entences are correct as they are, but I'd remove the comma after death in the third one.

Not that I'm an expert, mind you. I make a lot these king of decisions on gut feel. Never had a rejection based on commas though.

All the best.
Last edited by jak on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

Hi jak
Thank you very much. That article was just approved and posted. BUT -- I think I misinterpreted something I read in a forum post. I thought someone said that, if necessary, it was appropriate to write an explanatory note to the editor in the summary section of a submission.
So, when an editor said that my title was too long, I shortened the title and resubmitted the article. I wrote a note to the editor in the summary box.
But my note to the editor is online in the article summary, in full view to all. I just sent an email to the editors about it.
It is my first article, and I have been anxiously and excitedly hoping that it would be approved. I got it in too late for the public request, which was the impetus behind the subject choice, but I enjoyed doing the article. And I am enjoying getting to know more about CC; I like reading the forums and appreciate the sense of community here.
jak, thank you again.
Fond Regards
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

If you put a note to the editors in the short summary, you have to go back in and remove it once the article is approved. Go to My Content and find the article in the list. Click the Edit link, delete the comment, and save.
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

Done. I didn't know we had the ability to go back in and edit.Thank you, Celseste.