Screen prints?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

aprilk10

Screen prints?

Post by aprilk10 »

Hi! I just had a customer request an article with screen prints. I am not technically inclined...what are screen prints, how do I include them in an article, and CAN I include them in an article. This is apparently a long time CC customer, so I am assuming maybe he would know if this can't be done on our system. Thanks!
Celeste Stewart

Re: Screen prints?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I think he must mean "screenshots." They're often used in tutorials. To make a screenshot, use the Alt Key + the PRT SC (stands for "print screen") key and then copy and paste the image into your document or a paint program. You can also use CTRL + PRT SC and SHIFT + PRT SC -- the different combinations produce slightly different views. Play around to see the differences. I'll often crop the finished screenshot in Paint.

As far as if they're allowed, that depends. If I recall, Microsoft allows screenshots if they're credited with a certain phrase. If the customer is requesting screenshots of his own software products or websites, there's no real issue. I'm not sure about "fair use" in terms of screenshots. They're so commonly used, but I don't really know what's allowed. I suppose you could cover yourself by saying "screenshots provided as a courtesy, customer responsible for obtaining permission to use them" or something like that.

This is a screenshot:
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Thanks Celeste! I am pretty sure it is his own software program, but I will take your suggestion about including a disclaimer of sorts. I never attempted an order like this, but perhaps I'll branch out a bit and give it a shot!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

:-) I'm just now getting around to this. I got tied up with a few things. Article is due tomorrow, so hoping to tie it all up tonight. I have got about half the article completed and have successfully included screen shots. What I am wondering though is if they will send through the system? I know we can't include photos...will screen shots send?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Try copying and pasting them into the document. I think you can also upload them separately.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Thanks for your help! Submitted...hopefully it will go through with no problems. I pasted the screen shots within the document, but couldn't include them in the submission box. Wherever a space showed (where a screen shot would be) I filled it in with ***Screen Shot***. Now to play the waiting game. Wishing it would be approved tonight...but with it being Saturday, that may not happen! I still have an on spec piece from yesterday morning waiting review. I know private requests take priority...so maybe! Anyway...thanks for walking me through the screen shot process. I guess that was my new adventure for this month!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Accepted today! Thanks!