Usage Price

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

everton1

Usage Price

Post by everton1 »

I haven't found this explained in my searches throughout the forum, but I am sure it's been discussed.

How do I set my usage price, unique, and the other one? For usage it says "Must be set at above 7.00"

Can someone tell me what a beginning level 3 should set these prices to?

Thanks!
Lor

Re: Usage Price

Post by Lor »

Hi Everton,
The minimum you can ask for usage rights is $7. That's what that means. Price how your feel comfortable. Only you can decide what your piece is worth based on how much research and time went into it. The best way to get a sense of selling price points is to study the recently sold list. Don't sell yourself short, but don't price yourself out of the game either. Have a look around to see what others are doing. Between $30 and $40 for full rights on a 400-500 word article is probably fair. $18-25 for usage. That doesn't mean full rights don't sell for double or triple those amounts, but consider the average and feel your way into it as you go.

Also there is a sticky thread somewhere posted by CC a couple of years ago ... something about "How to Sell More Articles." CC has laid out all sorts of stats you might find interesting.

Hope that helps.
Have you left TCA? :)
Lorraine

ETA
Here's a link to part 1. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14568
Part 11 is also a sticky thread in Author Exchange
everton1

Post by everton1 »

Thanks, Lor! that helps, and I'll check out what the norm is. No, haven't left TCA, just exploring other places. I got excepted into this one site that pays well, but every time you check the board, it's empty. There was one job available last night, but since I was new I spent about twenty minutes reading the instructions, and trying to make sure I wasn't going to click on the wrong button, and of course by the time I clicked 'accept' the article was long gone. Haven't seen one since! :?

This seems interesting in that I can write anything, and as long as it passes the editors, it is fair game for making money. Seems kind of like fishing; take your time baiting the hook, throw it out there and see what happens. Nice of you to say hi. Nice to see a familiar face.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Good luck here, Everton. You'll enjoy that freedom to do your own thing. Don't be put off if an article doesn't sell right away. I think many people loose interest as they loose patience. Most articles do sell eventually. Mix it up. Write in several topic areas. Make your titles and short summaries say exactly what your article is about. That's what a buyer will see first as they scan the lists. Therein lies my unsolicited tips for the day.

I like TCA because it's easy to earn there. You know once you've written a piece, it's sold. I'm at tier 4, but I seldom see any titles at that level. At least tier 3 payment isn't too horrendous. But oh, the titles are so horrible -- good for weekly pocket money, but here I can spread my wings a little.

Enjoy
Lor