one editor rejects for font - ArialMT Times New Roman PSMT

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MarkHanningfield

one editor rejects for font - ArialMT Times New Roman PSMT

Post by MarkHanningfield »

Hello, I've been submitting articles saved as RTF files in 12-point type since January, and have had nine articles accepted so far. One editor (apparently the same one) has been sending me article reject messages to change the font:

When I use Times New Roman, it shows up as "Times New Roman PSMT" on the editor's machine, and he/she distinguishes the font named PSMT from "regular Times New Roman." However, other editors have accepted articles I saved using the same Times New Roman that this editor rejects.

The first time I got the Times New Roman PSMT reject message, I saved a copy of the RTF file, then changed the font to Arial, and then resubmitted it. The editor accepted it, and other editors subsequently accepted new articles that I saved using this same version of Arial on my iMac, using TextEdit.

Today, however, using the same Arial as before, I got a reject message saying that the editor sees "ArialMT" and wants "Times New Roman" or "Arial black font."

My understanding is that ArialMT and Times New Roman PSMT are the same as "Arial" and "Times New Roman." The Times Roman PSMT seems to refer to PostScript Monotype from the Monotype Corporation, and the ArialMT seems to refer to Arial Monotype from the same corporation.

I don't think the editor means for me to submit using "Arial Black" when he/she says use "Arial black font," because "Arial Black" is a font used for emphasis, such as to make headings, and it appears bolded. I wouldn't want to edit a story formatted in Arial Black!

I have tried downloading different versions of Times New Roman and Arial, and I cannot get one that does not have Times Roman PSMT or "ArialMT" in the PostScript description field.

I used the Font Book application that Apple included on my iMac and examined my system's fonts. For Constant Content purposes, I only have "Arial," "Times" and "Times New Roman." When I click on the "Times New Roman" font and then click "Show Info," it reveals that the "PostScript name" is "TimesNewRomanPSMT" and the "Full Name" is "Times New Roman." When I click on "Times," it says the "PostScript name" is "Times-Roman" and the "Full Name" is "Times Roman." When I click "Arial," the "PostScript name" is "ArialMT" and the "Full name" is "Arial."

Can an editor help me resolve this? Why are some editors accepting my Arial (ArialMT) and Times New Roman (Times New Roman PSMT) RTF articles, and at least one editor is rejecting for these PostScript font naming issues?

Thanks!
Lor

Re: one editor rejects for font - ArialMT Times New Roman PSMT

Post by Lor »

Whoah, that's gotta be frustrating. Wish I could help. Maybe try sending them as .doc files. I'd drop a note to support in any case. Their tech people may be able to help sort it.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

Have you tried to resubmit to the same editor with an explanation in your comments that it *is* the same font but is just showing as a different name on their end?
MarkHanningfield

Post by MarkHanningfield »

Update: I had two of these ArialMT reject messages Saturday. I resubmitted them both using my system's Times New Roman, whose "PostScript name" is "TimesNewRomanPSMT" and the "Full Name" is "Times New Roman."

The editor passed them both within a few minutes, w/out commenting on any "PSMT" problem. (?)

" jellygator on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Have you tried to resubmit to the same editor with an explanation in your comments that it *is* the same font but is just showing as a different name on their end?"

Jellygator, I don't see a place to add comments. Do I have to upload a separate text file w/ comments in it?

Lor, thanks, I'll send a message to text support.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

When you resubmit (as opposed to a new submission), there's a textbox at the end of the form for comments to the editor. I've had the fortune of not having to resubmit anything lately, but if memory serves then it's the last thing on the resubmit form before the submit button.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

SJHillman wrote:When you resubmit (as opposed to a new submission), there's a textbox at the end of the form for comments to the editor. I've had the fortune of not having to resubmit anything lately, but if memory serves then it's the last thing on the resubmit form before the submit button.
Exactly.