How to add screen caps to an article?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DavidLeePortwood

How to add screen caps to an article?

Post by DavidLeePortwood »

I have a "How-To" article in mind, relating to Excel use, which will benefit from embedded screen captures to clarify steps in the process (e.g., "... as shown in Figure 1 below"). I tried to submit the article with screen caps embedded, but the figures were deleted.

Maybe I'm not doing it right? I did a screen capture and then pasted from the clipboard into the article, which I'm writing in MS Word. All looks good in MS Word, but the figures don't survive the paste into CC. Is there some way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
David Portwood
frumpus

Re: How to add screen caps to an article?

Post by frumpus »

You won't be able to paste images into the text box on the form for the article summary, but they should remain in the '.doc' file that you upload.

That said, I'm pretty new so I'm not sure that images are even allowed or accepted.
DavidLeePortwood

Post by DavidLeePortwood »

CC does allow images, but it seems that the images are kept separate from the document. Or maybe I'm interpreting the guidelines wrong.

There must be some way to embed images, many articles rely on a series of images. Perhaps we refer to images that are stored in separate files, but we don't actually embed them with the text? Does anyone know?
joejitzu

Post by joejitzu »

Speaking of images, does CC allow writers to include photos with their articles? Just curious. I heard or read somewhere that print mags are willing to pay more for pieces with photos included. It would be a way for CC writers to earn more per article, if it's not already allowed. Just thinkin'.
frumpus

Post by frumpus »

joejitzu wrote:Speaking of images, does CC allow writers to include photos with their articles? Just curious. I heard or read somewhere that print mags are willing to pay more for pieces with photos included. It would be a way for CC writers to earn more per article, if it's not already allowed. Just thinkin'.
Sounds like a major copyright headache. Verifying the uniqueness of text is a lot easier than confirming an image is original. Taking some random image off the internet and selling it for money sounds like a great way to get sued.
jak

Post by jak »

You could always just add a note in the short summary saying that images are available if required. I'm sure CC would facilitate that for you by email. They do want to accommodate customers as much as possible, although they naturally don't grant direct contact between authors and customers other than via the site.