The source of a rejection for punctuaion

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

AteoAltruist

The source of a rejection for punctuaion

Post by AteoAltruist »

My first article was rejected for punctuation. After revising what I believe are the problematic sentences, (and then some), I'm still struggling. Are these automated responses? In other words, is this exact email sent with every article rejected for punctuation? Or is the editor saying to me, specifically, "dude, you blew it on so many levels..."?

I studied a plethora of complex rules tonight, and I'm beat. I have to admit my confidence is taking a huge hit. If there were several errors, and I miss one, or believe it to be a matter of style--correctly or not--will I be penalized for resubmitting it? Banned?

I really want to write for CC. I am afraid of blowing it by being careless or making too many newbie mistakes right off the bat.

You folks that spend time helping others are awesome, thank you in advance.
weagle87

Re: The source of a rejection for punctuaion

Post by weagle87 »

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I do know punctuation.

For a while I thought writing a blog would be a good way to go with this freelance thing. I didn't get very far, but here are three blogs on some punctuation: http://grammardweeb.blogspot.com/

Also, when I was teaching frightened writers, I combined comma rules so that I could just teach a few. Here they are:
Punctuation Rules

1. Use commas between items in a series.

2. Use commas after “introductory stuff” (such as dependent clauses and long phrases) (Although we try to be on time, we are always late to everything. In the swing on the front porch, a couple sat and talked.)

3. Use commas, dashes, or parentheses to set off “extra stuff”. (My daughter Ginny, who is the one in the green shirt, is 17 years old. Ferns, for example, need less sunlight than flowers.)

4. Use a period (or semicolon) and a comma when fancy conjunctions (conjunctive adverbs) join two independent clauses. (We left early. However, we were still late.)

5. Use a comma with FANBOYS (coordinate conjunctions) to join two independent clauses. (We left early, and we were still late.)

6. Use commas to set off words used in direct address. (Mike, put your cell phone away.)

7. Use a period (or a semicolon) between two independent clauses.

8. Use a colon after an independent clause to point to more useful information. (I had four sodas today: Coke, Mountain Dew, Coke Zero, and Grapico.)

9. Use a comma before “such as” and “especially when they introduce extra information. (I love carnival food, especially funnel cakes and cotton candy.)
AteoAltruist

Post by AteoAltruist »

Thank you. It looks like that took some time to type out. I appreciate it very much.
weagle87

Post by weagle87 »

Copy/paste from old lesson. No biggie.