Formatting subheadings

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

kassiesamp

Formatting subheadings

Post by kassiesamp »

HI,

If using subheadings, should they have a full stop at the end? I have been taught not to do this but have seen articles where the period is used. And, of course, without a full stop, you may have a proper sentence but no full stop, which then raises grammatical issues.

OPTION 1 - NO FULL STOP AFTER SUBHEADER

Eat breakfast
By definition, breakfast breaks the fast of the previous night.

Or

OPTION 2: FULL STOP AFTER SUBHEADER/INTRODUCTORY SENTENCE

Eat breakfast.
By definition, breakfast breaks the fast of the previous night.

May I also ask: is the formatting below with an introductory/key point followed by a colon okay for submission. Or should I be wary of the colon and stick with a sub-heading?

Eat breakfast: By definition, breakfast breaks the fast of the previous night.

Thank you. I am finding I am getting stuck on these fine points of formatting.
mnicol22

Re: Formatting subheadings

Post by mnicol22 »

When the subheader is at the same line with the rest of the text, I always use a colon. I've submitted many articles in this format, and I've never had a problem. If the subheader is above the main text, I like to capitalize it like a normal title, and avoid using a full stop. That's the way I like things, but I'm sure there are other acceptable ways as well. :wink:
Last edited by mnicol22 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kassiesamp

Post by kassiesamp »

Thank you
The ways you describe are my preferred options too but I am starting second guess myself as I am new to the CC forum and cannot see how submitted material is set out.
Kaytee

Post by Kaytee »

Important as it is to learn CC's preferences, try not to stress yourself out too much over formatting. Intimidating as things like the 'three strike rule' are at first, most people find that the editors are willing to offer guidance over those issues to newer writers providing the quality of the writing/content is up to scratch. :)

Your fastidiousness does you credit and once you've got a few submissions under your belt you'll find that your confidence in following your own instincts will grow.