How many times does an article sell with usage license?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

contentwriter

How many times does an article sell with usage license?

Post by contentwriter »

I need some advice on pricing articles. It would help if one could estimate how many times an article sells under a "usage" license. Do articles sell several times or is once or twice the norm? I just sold an article usage for $20. Now if that sells again and again even over a long period, that would be great. But if I can expect an article to sell only a few times, I should probably price it a bit higher.

If you sell a lot of "usage" licenses, how often does each article tend to sell? Personally I don't understand the logic of buying a non-exclusive article, given search engines prefer unique content.
cmcmahon66

Re: How many times does an article sell with usage license?

Post by cmcmahon66 »

When I do searches on article topics or authors, the usage articles tend to have sold 1-4 times, with a few outliers having as many as 7 or 8 but their prices are usually very low, lower than the current $7 minimum.

Not all articles appear on the web...some go into email newsletters or article compilations on a person's site. The SEO advantage is secondary to the actual content, or the bargain basement price. It is a good way to pad out a blog if a website operator doesn't have time to write frequent posts.
contentwriter

Re: How many times does an article sell with usage license?

Post by contentwriter »

cmcmahon66 wrote:When I do searches on article topics or authors, the usage articles tend to have sold 1-4 times, with a few outliers having as many as 7 or 8 but their prices are usually very low, lower than the current $7 minimum.

Not all articles appear on the web...some go into email newsletters or article compilations on a person's site. The SEO advantage is secondary to the actual content, or the bargain basement price. It is a good way to pad out a blog if a website operator doesn't have time to write frequent posts.

Thanks for the info. I think this will help authors price their articles accordingly. Personally, I want to price my usage licenses with the minimum I want to earn. I just don't think articles will sell lots of times.