Screenshots/pictures in articles?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jstevewhite

Screenshots/pictures in articles?

Post by jstevewhite »

Hey - This may be primarily a question for Ed, but someone else might know. If I want to include screenshots or photographs in an article, can I embed them in the .doc or .rtf? or do I need to submit them as "photographs"?

Thanks!

Steve White
DSWaltenburg

Re: Screenshots/pictures in articles?

Post by DSWaltenburg »

I think, if you're doing a tutorial, you can embed the screenshots right into the document. You won't need to submit under the Photograph section.

With normal articles, however, I know I've seen Ed mention that they don't want pictures included with articles, because customers often want to use their own picture sources.

Hopefully that helps a smidgen.
jstevewhite

Post by jstevewhite »

Ah... I've never seen that discussion before; in this case, a customer specifically asked if I could include screen shots for some of my more technical articles. Since it's not a private request, but discussion around a public request, I'm not sure how to proceed. If it were a private request, I would just put 'em in there and note in the response that it was, but since it's actually a request made in the questions section of a public request... hrm.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Screen shots are okay in the case of a tutorial in which you'd like to include illustrations. While I have heard it said that some companies feel this is a copyright violation (policies vary from situation to situation, company to company), if the customer is willing to take that risk, that's their business. In the case of software tutorials, screen shots definitely do add value to the written instructions.

What we don't accept are photos or images that are not owned by the author or do not have proper credit given. In addition, I highly discourage inclusion of photos - customers can't see the image and therefore can't judge whether the (often raised) price of the whole package is justified. Customers who want to llustrate their content with photos will do so in keeping with their site design needs/budget limitations. Better to sell photos separately.

Ed
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Microsoft allows screenshots of their products as long as certain guidelines are followed - those guidelines are on their website somewhere.
jstevewhite

Post by jstevewhite »

Thanks for the feedback, Ed. I've not seen many cases, but I'm pretty sure legal exposure is low in the case of editorial and tutorial usage - of course, IANAL; I'm just going by a few quick searches of legal databases (it had never occurred to me that screenshots in this context might not be considered 'fair use'). I read that Microsoft's legal theory is that a screenshot is an unauthorized reproduction of their icon/widget artwork, and as such, they have the right to control it. I'm not sure I'm buying it, but hey, they have a lot of money for lawyers, no? :D

I think the risk of legal exposure in strict tutorial/editorial context is extremely low, though. I don't want a customer to get into trouble, but I want to provide the product he wants. I guess I'll flip a coin. :D
jstevewhite

Post by jstevewhite »

Celeste -

Yeah, but Microsoft is the company that put prohibitions against saying bad things about their products in their EULA. Gotta love 'em.

'Course, I'm not sure where I would get a screenshot of a Windows product. :D
Celeste Stewart

Doing a quick search, I couldn't find any guidelines for Mac screenshots. This is what I did find though:

All Other Third Parties: Third parties (other than Media and Analysts) should contact the Apple Copyright Department to obtain clearance to use Apple photography. Email your detailed permission request to copyright@apple.com (or send a fax to Copyright Permissions: 408/974-5436). Thank you for your consideration and cooperation.
jstevewhite

Post by jstevewhite »

Celeste -

Got a link for that? I'd like to read the context.

Thanks!

Steve
Celeste Stewart

Yeah, it was in the Press area where they list several photos that the press can use. Here's the link:
http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displays/displays.html
jstevewhite

Post by jstevewhite »

Ah, ok. Thanks for takin' the time to provide the link, I appreciate it. That's in regard to representation of their products, then. Of course, I'm not sure how they would couch any challenge to an editorial about an Apple product in which I included my own images, but hey. Gotta give 'em an "A" for effort.

I tend to have some really strong reservations about the trend in the US (and by extension, the world) in regard to intellectual properties. I think we need either strong copyright protection for a short time, or weak copyright protection for a long time; the current trend towards strong copyright protection for a long, long time is stifling of innovation and creativity, IMO. And I oppose all criminalization of copyright infringement, which we've been doing apace since the DMCA. This tends to color all of my perceptions of "intellectual property" and particularly the claims of large companies (who can pay lobbyists).
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I've been wondering about this from almost the same angle. I'm sure I read about adding href address to pictures in articles.

Would it just be better to, for example, take apart one of my old computers and submit pictures here? If I did that, would I need to blur out company logos on the products?

Some of my tutorials would be a lot better with pictures added, but I don't want to mention that in the short summary. There's nothing like actually seeing what is being described.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I've finally read this whole thread, instead of asking a pertinent questions after searching for "pictures in articles".

Technically, under Fair Use, you can use pictures for school projects and tutorials.

Here's the wrench in the gears. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 has some pretty vague wording throughout. In the last decade many cases have been brought up using what the laws "could" mean instead of the letter of them. Especially when the MPAA and other groups get involved. Generally speaking, if you're selling something and it includes pictures of any copyrighted materials, get written permission from the copyright holder. You can also go to the official website of many programs and there will be a page or two about what can and can't be used without permission.