Odd Formats

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

Odd Formats

Post by BarryDavidson »

Ed,

Keeping in mind the guidelines for doublespacing, etc. I've got a question or two about other types of formats. Have you ever seen the format for a bill going through congress, and would that be allowed here? A while back, I started making some bills for a joke political website. They did well there, and some were actually used elsewhere with my permission. Here's an example (although the formatting will be off because these forums don't recognize them):

The Hands off the Market by Repealing Unsound Legislation and Reenacting Certain Legislation Act of 2009

Bill# Pending

Original Sponsor(s)
Barry Davidson (I)

Co-Sponsors

To repeal legislation which helped lead to the current market crisis.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress Assembled,

Section 1. Short title; Table of Contents.

(a) Short Title – This Act may be cited as the ‘Market Protection Act of 2009’

(b) Table of Contents – The table of contents for this Act is as follows:

Title I – Repeal of Unnecessary Legislation

Sec. 101. All previous legislation in reference to the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 will be repealed.

Title II – Reenacting Legislation

Sec. 201. Reenacting helpful legislation which was repealed.

Title I – Repeal of Unnecessary Legislation

(a) In general, to repeal legislation which harms the American Economy.

(1) The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 is hereby repealed.

(2) The Financial Institutions Reform Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989 is hereby repealed.

(3) The Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 is hereby repealed.

(4) The Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Efficiency Act of 1994 is hereby repealed.

(5) The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (Financial Modernization Act of 1999) is hereby repealed.

Title II – Reenacting Legislation

(a) In general, to reenact repealed legislation.

(1) The Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 is hereby reenacted.
Ed

Re: Odd Formats

Post by Ed »

Hmm. I'm not really sure what your intent is here. If the contents of your mimicked bill was preceded by an introduction that indicated to your reader what the article was about, and if article was more than just the contents of the mimicked bill and provided useful information to the reader, I don't see a problem. It just has to be very clear to the reader what you're trying to accomplish. As it is, however, bills by themselves aren' very fun to read - after all, the people enacting them don't even take the time to read them!

Thanks,
Ed
BarryDavidson

Re: Odd Formats

Post by BarryDavidson »

[quote="Ed"]after all, the people enacting them don't even take the time to read them!

Thanks,
Ed[/quote]

So true Ed, and I'll consider your advice. Already I was thinking of adding an introduction before the actual bill (if I actually submit any). As the sample is, it's pretty dry, and only people who are "political-savy" would know about the Acts cited within. My question has made me think though, and that's sometimes a good thing unless you ask my wife.