Overpricing?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cashwriter

Overpricing?

Post by cashwriter »

I'm pretty new to Constant-Content, so I haven't found my pricing groove yet. I priced my articles on the high end of the recommended pricing chart. I've had five articles approved so far (with one denial because the article was a bad choice for formatting - better suited to other arenas) so I'm fairly sure my writing is good quality. I've had 26 hits on one of my articles this week, but not a single bite. I'm concerned it's because I've set my prices too high. What kind of luck do you folks have as far as pricing on the high end? If you price lower, do you get a lot of purchases? I'm just thinking, if the article is being checked out so much, what's the reason it's not selling? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Eileen
eek

Re: Overpricing?

Post by eek »

Hi Eileen, and welcome to the site. I don't know your pen name, but I suspect high prices are not the cause. Hits aren't really a good barometer either, although it helps to know that someone out there is interested enough to click. I have an article that was accepted earlier this week and has since sat on the front page. It now has 103 hits. Front page articles always gather a huge amount of hits, and many of those are probably CC authors cruising through the latest out of curiosity.

You'll find several threads on how to price articles, but it's a very subjective matter. Customers vary widely in what they feel is a fair price. Sometimes articles sell immediately, and sometimes they sell months after being posted. I joined 2 years ago and most of my original articles have sold. The dynamics of the site have changed slightly, or maybe the economy is to blame, but things move a little slower now, and I've noticed more customers buying articles for usage than before. Last month I sold a slew of older (within the last year) pieces, but all for usage.

You'll also discover it's not always about the price, but the topic, and how you treat it. It's not difficult to discover popular topics, or even to approach them from a unique angle. Throw in some specific, well researched (and attributed, where necessary) details and you will be justified in charging a fair, and maybe higher, price.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't tweak those prices just yet, especially if you've just begun submitting.
emma
cashwriter

Post by cashwriter »

Thank you for such a thorough reply! I'll go ahead and let my articles ride as they are for now. Just submitted another today, so hopefully my article quantities (and quality of course!) will lead to more sales (and maybe some private requests)!
wcain83

Post by wcain83 »

Sorry to piggyback on an extant thread, but I can't seem to find this for the life of me. Where are the pricing guidelines everyone keeps mentioning?

Thank you so much,

William Cain, RHP
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
You can find a link to the pricing guidelines when you go to submit an article. Go here: http://www.constant-content.com/document/new/
and then you should see a link for sample prices near the top.
wcain83

Post by wcain83 »

Many thanks, I just could not figure it out for the life of me. You are a lifesaver.