My pricing correct

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MRanonymous

My pricing correct

Post by MRanonymous »

Well, im new here and i really like the idea of setting my own prices. I made a VERY INDEPTH virus removal guide and have submitted it for review. Well the thing is im not sure if the pricing is so good. Its exactly 1,119 words long. I priced usage at 19.99, unique at 24.99, and full at 34.99. was my pricing smart?
HayleyWriter

Re: My pricing correct

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi,

You will probably sell the article at those prices, but I actually think you can put a bit more on the article, especially if it is in depth, unique, and lengthy. I would generally put $20 to $40 for usage for an article 1000 to 1200 words, $50 to $70 for unique and $70 to $100 + for full rights. Check out the typical rates pricing table on the submission page for suggested prices from the website. You can always select the best offer option to allow customers to negotiate a better price, but you might be surprised at what sells. I recently rejected an offer for $30 for full rights for an 800 word article, and then worried for about two hours that I had done the wrong. At the end of that time though, I stopped worrying and started smiling - my article had just sold for $70 for full rights! Remember too that CC takes a cut of the sale price and authors receive 65% of the sale price. So, if you really want to make over $30 for your article, you need to sell it for $50, giving you $32.50 in your pocket!

Remember that both unique and full rights licences can never be sold again. You could sell the usage again, so $20 for usage is fine, but why only $6 extra for the exclusive use for the unique licence?

Also, you don't really need to price at $x.99 - most authors and customers here are used to a flat dollar rate of $20 etc, and will pay that quite happily.

Hope this helps,

Hayley
MRanonymous

Re: My pricing correct

Post by MRanonymous »

thanks for the reply, i was gonna price it at 10 dollars at first, but realised i only get 65%. Your advice was really useful so now i'm going to rid of the unique and just make it full rights for 50 dollars. Thanks a lot for your post. i hope someone's looking to buy it since i see no other virus removal guides here.