Types of rights for public requests

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

hairyoctopus

Types of rights for public requests

Post by hairyoctopus »

I'm still trying to get my head around how the request system works, and I have a question about requests that are asking for quite a lot of work (800+ words, quite a lot of research) but saying they'll only offer $10-$20.

Assuming that I don't just say "No way am I going to do four hours' work for 65% of $20," and I choose to write the article, can I set a usage price that is within the buyer's range (say $10) but then set unique and full rights prices for more (say $30-$40)? In other words, is it OK effectively to say to the buyer "I have written a good article for you, but if you're only going to pay $10 for it then you're only going to get usage rights"?
eek

Re: Types of rights for public requests

Post by eek »

Yes, that is perfectly acceptable. I think Celeste Stewart has mentioned on the forums somewhere that the $10-20 range is the default. Whether that is the intention of the requester, pricing it according the the time & research is fair. In my experience customers will occasionally pay more than their suggested price. Not always, but it's not about the lowest price every time. And you probably know that if this requester doesn't pick it up, someone else will most likely do so down the line.
Emma