Sources and Quotes

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

EricScott

Sources and Quotes

Post by EricScott »

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. I am going to write an article in which I plan on using quotes from someone. He's a friend of mine and he was more than willing to answer my questions and said I can use his comments in an article but he does not want me to use his full name or his company's name. Will this fly? Can I quote him using just his first name such as "Joe B."? Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks!
Ed

Re: Sources and Quotes

Post by Ed »

That's fine. Please remember we cannot accept content with large quotes. Articles must be in the author's own words.

Thanks,
Ed
EricScott

Post by EricScott »

Thanks Ed. Basically I want to use his business as an example in my article. I can probably do this without even directly quoting him.
AmyT

Post by AmyT »

Hello!

I just wrote a 788-word article that is requires a lot of research. (National security acts in the US since 9/11 and its impact on freedom) I noticed that you said you don't accept articles with a large amount of quotes. Approximately 609 of the 788 words are my own. The rest are quotes from journals, reports, etc.

I am also wondering exactly how I should format the reference section. From searching this forum, I gathered that it should be: 1) MLA format; 2) No "www"'s; 3) and should be at the end of the article. How does this look?

Sources

Doe, John. "The name of the article." Website name. 1 January 2000 <URL minus the www>

Thank you!

Amy