Rejected for - gasp! - Plagiarism

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

VictoriaG

Rejected for - gasp! - Plagiarism

Post by VictoriaG »

A while back I wrote an article that was rejected for plagiarism! I was so mortified that it took me a lot of courage before I could submit again - partly because I was sure that I had been blacklisted.

Now, I wrote what I thought was an original article. The piece was about 5 different museums in Switzerland, and I even contacted some of the locals and asked questions and included their answers in the piece. However, I admit that I copied the opening times and the directions on how to reach these places from their websites. I could see no point in being original on this section.

So, could anyone tell me how plagiarism is determined by CC?
Ed

Re: Rejected for - gasp! - Plagiarism

Post by Ed »

If you simply copied the chunk of text that described hours of operation, and your article was rejected for originality, the rejection was a request to submit only completely original content - and not copy this information directly from another source. While copying information about hours of operation would not result in punitive action, it isn't good practice to copy any text from anywhere. It is up to the author to format/structure this information in such a way that it suits the article.

For future reference, our guidelines state -
Plagiarism includes:
Using text taken directly from another source and presenting this information as your own.
Rewrites or partial rewrites of articles by other authors.

Thanks,
Ed