Affiliate sale (or maybe not)

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

4rumid

Affiliate sale (or maybe not)

Post by 4rumid »

I noticed today that one of my affiliates has a $2.00 sale. However, when I look at his profile, there are no articles accepted and no licenses sold. Also, as far as I can tell, I didn't receive a cut from the "sale." What's also strange is that for the affiliate to get $2.00 for an article, it would have to have sold for $3.07, which is possible, but seems pretty unlikely. Any idea what might be going on?
Antonia

Re: Affiliate sale (or maybe not)

Post by Antonia »

I wonder where you are seeing that? On your status page it lists your affiliates and lists the amount of money they have made, so if the article sold for 3.07 you'd see that amount next to the affiliate's name.

One of my affiliates sold her one and only article a second time for usage this month--I wish she'd write some more! :)
4rumid

Re: Affiliate sale (or maybe not)

Post by 4rumid »

The status page does list the amount the affiliate made -- but not the amount the article sold for. That is, it lists the 65% that went to the affiliate. You can check by calculating your cut, which is more than 5% of the amount listed for the affiliate, but it is 5% of what the article sold for, which can be calculated from the affiliate's cut.

For example, say you see on the status page that an affiliate made $65 on an article. That means the article sold for $100 ($65 is 65% of $100 --> $65/.65 = $100). Your cut will be $5, i.e., 5% of $100.

One thing that would make things easier is a more explicit accounting of affiliate earnings, say a running record. It took me a while to figure out that the increase in my affiliate earnings had nothing to do with the $2 earned by that one affiliate. It would also be nice to see the amount articles sell for -- it would be a somewhat more transparent way to show us where our earnings come from.

But in the meantime, I'd still like to know what's up with those 2 bucks. It's not the 15 cents I care so much about, it's knowing that the amounts I'm seeing make sense. :)