Submitting Two Articles Before First Approved

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

SuzanneBosworth

Submitting Two Articles Before First Approved

Post by SuzanneBosworth »

Dear all - I have a question. I'm writing two articles for a project up on the jobs board, but haven't yet had approval for my first from Ed.

When I do hear from Ed, and if the first article is approved, should I submit both articles for Ed's approval (as separate docs of course) or should I submit one, wait for the approval and then submit the other? I'm just so careful about not wanting to get the boot .. :shock: Plus, if I submit them one at a time, should I label the first one as part one of two?

Many thanks - this is such a worthwhile site I don't want to jeopardise my chances of continuing here!
Ed

Re: Submitting Two Articles Before First Approved

Post by Ed »

Please do not label your articles Part 1 and Part 2. The reason for this is that all articles should be able to stand alone. We cannot accept series of articles, though you may write articles according to a theme and indicate they are on the same subject like so:

Writing Your First Draft: The Introduction
Writing Your First Draft: The Body

Thanks,
Ed
SuzanneBosworth

Ed thank you so much for that. I had wondered if it could go in the blurb, but your workaround will help the buyer, who might wonder why he is only getting one article when he has asked for two as a batch (actually I guess it's a brace, not a batch) :)
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Right the first time -- it's a batch. At least in the US. (Never heard of a brace in that context.) :)
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Brace meanings include:
couple: two items of the same kind
pair: a set of two similar things considered as a unit
and oddly in sports (like hockey) brace means three of a kind.

Batch means: a collection of things or persons to be handled together.

I guess a collection could be two of something. Thanks for the vocab lesson - now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Last edited by jadedragon on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I believe I have heard "a brace of pheasants" and "a brace of pistols" .
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Yes that is two - one male and one female pheasant. Or two guns, one on each hip.
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

I definitely stand corrected. Thanks guys!
SuzanneBosworth

LOL thanks everyone. I had just been investigating pheasant feathers, so that's why "brace" leapt to my mind :D

I think I've just realised something - I guess the buyer is looking for two articles, but not necessarily as a pair - just two articles on the subject. So no need to worry about the articles being submitted separately.
yashuasgirl

Post by yashuasgirl »

I am trying to wait until I get articles accepted quickly before I go putting up a lot of stuff. I have rewritten an article that had been for a request,(Practical First Steps to Stop Smoking) and it has been about 8 days thus far, but I haven't heard about the article yet. I keep hearing that Ed is the only one working this so I can understand the time it must take to review everything. I hope to hear soon. My question and/or comment is this. I am submitting the articles one by one. I am doing this because I am new to writing articles, and I want to have the articles approved Before I start submitting Batches ....Is this a good strategy?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Once you get past the first 3 or so approvals just start submitting. You will not get faster review and approval with more experience here if that is what you are implying.