File extensions

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MPIvy

File extensions

Post by MPIvy »

First, a big apology for submitting an article with the same error twice. But honestly, I checked very carefully that I had selected rtf on the second submission, yet the article was again rejected for no file extension. Since I have not (knowingly) changed any settings, I am at a loss to figure out why this is happening. So, I wondered if there is a 'short answer' to this puzzle and also wondered if anyone else has had similar (unhappy) experiences.

I would like to assure Ed I will not spoil his post-vacation tranquility by submitting any more articles until I can get this cleared up.

MP
REason

Re: File extensions

Post by REason »

What operating system are you running on your computer?
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

What program are you using as your word processor? I haven't seen the problem of 'no file extension' in a long time.
MPIvy

Post by MPIvy »

I use Mac O/S and Word. The funny part is I have submitted almost 30 articles over the past few months and have not ever encountered this problem. That's what has me so puzzled. As far as I know, none of my settings had changed. The second time I submitted, I chose 'rtf', thinking that might fix whatever was wrong. Nope. When I was working on the submission page, I checked both times to make sure the title for the attachment showed up next to the "attach file" or whatever that little button says. Since the title was visible, I assumed all was correct.

Very strange.

MP
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I don't know much about Mac's, but you could try typing in the extension manually when you save the file. For example:

Save As: JumpingJupiter "and put .doc, .rtf, etc." after the filename.
zwag

Post by zwag »

I have a question of my own. I've seen somewhere on Constnat Content, but not in the guidelines apparently, the different extentions that are acceptable. One is doc, but the documents I'm working with now have a docm extension. Is that acceptable?
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Nope. It should be a .doc OR a .rtf.

What program uses a .docm? I'm interested to know.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I think .docm is a Word 2007 template file. Definitely change it to .doc or even .docx (which is now acceptable here)
zwag

Post by zwag »

Thanks. I'll try and see if I can change it.