Qualifications of published content.

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Gouldm80

Qualifications of published content.

Post by Gouldm80 »

I'm a newbie here, so please be patient with me. :) I really appreciate any and all help that you good people could bestow upon me via this forum.
I submitted my first couple of articles to this site and was dismayed to find that the first one was summarily rejected. I recall reading the qualifications for publication and can't seem to remember anything that would have disqualified what I tried to publish. So here I am, looking for some clarification so that I'm not banned from future attempts. I believe that my writing style, punctuation and grammar isn't too noxious, and I'd love to utilize this site to expand my craft and make a few dollars in the process.
The explanation for why my article was rejected reads as follows, "We do not generally consider opinion-based or editorial-style content." Well, my confusion arises from the fact that most of what I've read on this site certainly falls into the category of opinion. Is there really, truly a best way to short sell a house or are any articles that detail that process a matter of opinion? The piece I wrote that was rejected was about why more unions need to be formed by workers in the United States. Was my topic too controversial or too much of a social issue? I don't get it.
I spent a few days researching various online article publishing sites like this one and Associate Content, Helium, etc., and this experience is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I can certainly see the value of this site and would like to utilize it, but at the same time I have read articles here that have major grammatical flaws replete throughout them. Well, now I just sound like I'm complaining.
I think that most of us here think being able to publish content online is pretty great, but ultimately if we weren't making any money from it we would be far less inclined to spend so much time composing articles. Given that fact, I have a question. I've noticed in the forum that many of the most successful writers on this site are very helpful and willing to offer advice, and so I'm going to call on you for your constant content expertise. What type of articles should I be focusing on in order to have this endeavor be worth my time? Also, do you find that selling things for 'usage' is a waste of time?
Thanks for taking the time to read my rant/inquisitive post. I appreciate any help that you'd all be willing to offer. :)
Celeste Stewart

Re: Qualifications of published content.

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi and welcome,
I'm going to try to find a link to a recent discussion about opinon/op-ed articles for you. Here it is:
http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... on+article

As far as what to focus on for starters, maybe start with "How to ___" or "Tips for ___" or take a look at the requested content for ideas.

I feel that usage articles can be part of a strategy, but shouldn't be the main part. I actually get bummed out if an article of mine sells for usage because I know it's going to take several more sales to equal the amount of money that I really wanted with full rights. That's why I often price my usage licenses at the same, or close to the same, price as my full rights license.
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Thanks, Celeste, that was a very helpful link. It seems that I'm not the only one who seems a bit confused about what is an opinion piece and what isn't. I'll try to reign in this unbridled desire to toss my opinions around willy-nilly. It's difficult to refrain from offering opinion because it seems that the most captivating writing comes from people's passionate opinions regarding the topics about which they write. I'll try to be more of a thinker and less of a feeler.
I appreciate the help. :)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You can still write opinion pieces, just not for CC :) They're not what sell here.
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

My second article was approved today, and I'm elated! It hasn't sold, and who knows when or if it will, but simply being able to pass the stringent guidelines of this site puts a little jump in my step. :) The strictness can be frustrating, but I absolutely agree with the principle of trying to keep the material top-notch.
I think I'll continue to write a few opinion pieces from time to time when the fancy strikes me and just post them elsewhere. Thanks again for your help. :)