Private Request

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Gouldm80

Private Request

Post by Gouldm80 »

I have a client who is requesting that I write for him outside of the realm of Constant-Content. I'm curious about what CC's policy is regarding this situation. I would think that they wouldn't mind since plenty of other people branch out into other endeavors such as blogs or e-books, but before I proceed with this arrangement with this client I wanted to make sure there would be no negative ramifications for me on CC. I enjoy writing for this site and have experienced a fair amount of success of late on it, but I'd love to branch out and do some work for someone outside of this site. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.

Mike
aprilk10

Re: Private Request

Post by aprilk10 »

Mike,

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your account will be suspended if you do! It is the same as stealing Constant Content's customers! Read the guidelines and policies...it is stated somewhere in there! Either send the client a message through the message system at CC saying you cannot do this or just ignore him. Make sure you DO NOT provide any personal info such as your personal e-mail, etc.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Oohh, big no-no. CC does have a big problem with it writers working with CC customers outside of the system. CC spends a huge amount of money to attract customers to the site and offers customers a terrific value. If customers and writers bypass the CC system, CC loses big time. That 35% fee? THat's what pays for all the marketing, editing, staff, etc. By bypassing CC, the entire system is undermined. Not only will you likely lose on this particular deal because the customer will feel that since there's no middle man, there's no need to pay you your full rate, you will be in breach of CC's terms of service and likely suspended if CC were to find out. It's not worth it and it's not okay.

If you want to branch out with blogs and attract our own private customers outside of CC, CC has no problem with that. But if you take away CC's customers (and thus its revenue), you can bet that CC would have a problem with it (and so would many of the writers who depend on and care about this site's long-term future).
Celeste Stewart

Also, many customers aren't really aware. Be honest, tell the customer that you can't break your contract with CC and that while it may be a pain to sign into the interface in order to communicate, CC provides 3rd party editorial oversight and other benefits to the customer. You may be surprised, but many customers actually respect this position. It shows loyalty and integrity - qualities most people want of those working for them.
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Ok, sounds good. I am an honest person, and that's why I'm asking about this rather than trying to sneakily subvert the system. I understand all of the valid points that you've made. I was kind of thinking that this may be the case, but I wasn't certain. I'll inform my customer of the policy. I certainly don't want to jeopardize my status on this site and don't want to hurt this site's ability to operate. I already informed the customer that I was uncertain about this policy, and I'll clarify with him that if he wants to continue to purchase my work then it will have to be through Constant-Content.
I've only been on this site for less than a month now, but so far I really like it and am hoping to be around for a while. Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad I asked before informing the customer about any of my personal information. You're all very helpful...I appreciate it. :)

Mike
Celeste Stewart

Yes, we can definitely tell you are honest and want to do the right thing. I'm sure the customer will appreciate you all the more.
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Thanks, Celeste and April. Yeah, I got this panicked feeling when I thought that I might be involved in breaking the rules. I'm still trying to get the hang of this whole getting paid to write thing, and I'm glad that I didn't screw this one up. I'm very grateful to have an opportunity to work on a great site that advertises and brings customers to my writing, and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that. Thanks for the advice, and thank you for responding so quickly.

Mike
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Keep up the good work Mike! That's great that you have a private request client so early in the game! I just got my first privtae request client after being on here since late Feb.! She is supplying me with alot of work though! :D Good luck!
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Thanks. :) Getting a private request client is certainly a boost to the ol' ego. I've browsed through some of the other articles on this site, and I've seen some terrific writing. I was beginning to wonder if my own writing was up to par after going for almost 4 weeks and 28 articles with no sales. So I'm pretty thrilled that things seem to have taken a turn for the better. I just wish that I'd known about this site a couple of years ago.
Thanks again for your encouraging words. Best of luck to you as well. :)

Mike
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Also, if you're thinking "but I could make 35% more by going around the system", writers also benefit from going through Constant-Content. You are protected from non-payment for delivery of writing (I'm trying to get a client from another website to pay up as we speak) and C-C guarantees your writing. If there is a return, typically, you won't be penalized for it (I've had one return that I know of, due to the buyer purposely buying a cheaper license and then wanting to change the article). You also have the strength of the collective behind you, such as really egregious problems with a buyer is all handled with C-C, we authors rarely know anything about it!

Trust me, once you go through some of these other sites where they only post the job offer you will learn how awful it is to go one-on-one.
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Thanks for the advice, Elizabeth. When I originally asked this question I did run through a mental checklist of some of the problems I could think of popping up if I were to work on projects outside of C-C, and the whole payment issue was one that immediately came to mind. I don't possess enough of an entrepreneurial spirit to want to hassle with all of those other issues.
C-C certainly earns it's 35% as far as I'm concerned. They have to edit some of my tedious snoozer articles and help curb my natural inclination to be too wordy. They also funnel customers towards my work. Those reasons alone make it worth it to have them take a cut. Besides, if it wasn't for this site, I may have never realized that I could make decent money with my writing. That's why I felt that panicky sensation when I thought that I might be involved in a situation that was breaking the rules. I don't want to ruin a good thing before I've had time to adequately exploit it. lol
Anyway, thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated. :)

Mike
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

The advice wasn't just for you Mike, I'm seeing many new faces around here (and awesome thing!). It's very common for new writers to get tempted to go around the system, and it's important for them to realize they benefit a great deal from using C-C's system. Many of us have been around the block, we know what it's like out there for paying writing gigs. There's the bidding/invoice sites, like Guru, that are a pain to get buyers to pay, or release the funds if you use their escrow service. There's the Demand Studios/Textbroker sites that pay peanuts in comparison, but the work is steady. You really have to pick your poison, and losing the C-C antidote, well, it can make surviving on a writing income very difficult. I keep trying to get one of my good friends to come over to C-C, but she can't break the cycle with the lower paying sites.