Can't see what's wrong

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

JoyRCalderwood

Can't see what's wrong

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

I'm having trouble understanding the grammatical errors they are pointing out. Can you help me?

Below is their sample. Farther down I will post the full paragraph.

We have reviewed your content, "Smart Tools for Planning Your Small Business." Unfortunately, this article requires revision before we can accept it.

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

We do not accept content with grammar errors.

Example: putting them into a concise and professional format that can been seen on paper ... //

Full para Starting a new business is about taking pieces of a dream that have been rumbling around in your mind for some time, and putting them together in an official way with the intention of making a profit. One of the most significant steps of starting your business is accumulating those pieces and putting them into a concise and professional format that can been seen on paper or on a computer screen.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Can't see what's wrong

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I can't put my finger on it. I'd try to simplify it:
One of the most significant business startup steps involves expressing those ideas in a concise and professional document.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi. I like Celeste's suggestion. As far as your sample, you have "can been seen." It should read "can be seen." Look for similar types of errors that are easy to miss when scanning over a sentence if you think you have more than one error. WG~
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I didn't even see the "been seen" part. My eyes just glossed right over that.
JoyRCalderwood

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

geesh, and I re-read it so many times. Thanks.
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Jeez, don't you hate that? I didn't see it either. Just goes to show we see what we expect to see. That's where the editors come in.