Open Office RTF and formatting problems?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

maryaz

Open Office RTF and formatting problems?

Post by maryaz »

I just had an article rejected because it was supposed to be a numbered list but the only paragraph with a number was the first. This didn't seem like a mistake I would make (especially after proofreading a few times!), so I downloaded the file on my work computer using Word and sure enough, they were correct. However, the RTF file I had saved on my home computer using OpenOffice showed all of the numbers in there, properly formatted.

I quickly went in and reviewed two other articles submitted from my home computer and they had similar formatting issues. I revised in Word and re-submitted them. Hopefully it was in time!

Has anyone else run into problems like this with OpenOffice? Would it be different using .doc format with the program instead of .rtf? I suppose I could just email the documents to myself and post them while I'm at work, but that's not ideal as I do most of my writing at home.
topquark

Re: Open Office RTF and formatting problems?

Post by topquark »

OpenOffice's compatibility with Word is generally very good, but it's by no means perfect. It's always a good idea to check if possible.

Personally, I've never had a problem using numbered lists when I write in OpenOffice and save as .doc (I've never tried saving as RTF).