What is your strategy on full rights?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jfmalewitz

What is your strategy on full rights?

Post by jfmalewitz »

I am grateful so many writers are willing to help others here. In the spirit of that I had a question. What is your strategy on full rights? I read an article on AC where the writer said to have the full rights be just short of twice the amount of usage (On CC articles of course). I do not use unique rights because of that same article--it said to avoid that. Example: I have an article up now that is $30 usage and $55 full rights. Does that sound reasonable (beyond topic of choice, just in general)? Hope that made sense. Any help would be awesome. Thanks for your time.
REason

Offering a Different Perspective

Post by REason »

My approach or viewpoint of unique rights and full rights is a little different than most. I look at it from the most basic aspect: What is it worth to the author to offer the opportunity for someone else to change the article?

Some authors charge premium prices for unique and only slightly more for full rights. One school of thought (there is many out there) is that full rights purchasers might be buying a concept or an idea and will have to research and edit the article to fit their needs.

Others charge a premium price for giving the purchaser the chance to edit the article, and slightly less for unique rights.

It's just a matter of personal preference. If you want to encourage full rights purchasing, then charge a premium for unique rights. Use that price as your base and increase it slightly more for full rights. There is no strict pricing guide for the amount of increase. Some authors only increase by $10 others significantly more.

Look at it from a marketing point of view - which type of use license would you encourage? Price articles in such a way to encourage or promote those types of licenses.

I'm not familiar with the AC article that you mentioned. Forgive me if my response is way off in left field.