Average Review Times and Revisions.

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Kaytee

Average Review Times and Revisions.

Post by Kaytee »

Can anyone give me an idea about what review times are standard now, (as in practice the reality often differs from listed guidelines).

I've never waited more than 2 or 3 days for a piece to be checked by the editors, even when it isn't for a request, but have had 4 pending since their submission on the 11th.

Support were brilliant when an article got lost in the system once before, but I don't want to be pushy if they're just a little overwhelmed at the moment. I'm sure approval times fluctuate quite a bit, but I'm not sure how long is 'too long' when waiting for approval (or rejection!)

It would be useful to know what people have found to be the norm--for regular writers and newer members. Thank you!

-----

Also, I have an unsold article which was tailored to a now-expired UK-based request. With some light editing it would be possible to make it more applicable to a broader marketplace. If I remove it and re-submit, would it pay to leave a message in the summary for the editors? I've never had to revise an accepted piece before, and am unsure of the preferred etiquette.
BarryDavidson

Re: Average Review Times and Revisions.

Post by BarryDavidson »

It's not unusual to wait five-plus business days for an article to be accepted or rejected. There are times it can take a good long while to get an article through if there are large requests on a popular subject.

When revising an artile it'll have to go through the same process as getting it initially accepted. Some writers do leave notes for the editors, but I've never been sure if they get that far down on the page. I'd say to go for it if you feel the need to do so. It can't hurt.
alyne

Post by alyne »

I think it's like 6-7 days total at the moment (that's including weekends, as I submit mostly on Thursdays and Fridays). I wonder if there's an exceptionally large number of submissions lately, (as it used to be about 3-4 days total) or if there are some other issues that we don't know about. I hope 6-7 won't become the standard waiting time :shock:

I wonder if there is some way for the editors to let us writers know where we are in the waiting queue, as right now when the article goes into "review" it just stays in review until it's accepted, and it feels just a little discouraging :D
Kaytee

Post by Kaytee »

Thank you Barry and alyne. It's good to have a bit of a guide.