Some newbie questions - author byline and websites

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

EmmaC

Some newbie questions - author byline and websites

Post by EmmaC »

Hello,

I’m a newbie here, and just had my first article accepted. Yay!

I have a few quick questions I'm hoping some busy writer has time to answer.

1) Author byline. Should I type my name under the article title when I submit it? I have seen some people on this forum say they do it, and others that say they don’t. So, I’m a bit confused. If I do, should I write my full name or should I write my username?
2) Can I use bold for the article title and also for section headings throughout an article?
3) After a section heading, should I double space before beginning the next paragraph?
4) The next article I want to submit gives advice on preparing for a business trip. It’s about 600 words, and lists 4 different apps, 4 websites, and 2 products that might be useful when preparing for a business trip. I know I have to take the “www” out of the website listing, but is it OK to list this many appls, websites and products in an article? Or won’t it be accepted?

Thanks in advance!
Em
jak

Re: Some newbie questions - author byline and websites

Post by jak »

Hi Emma & welcome.

I can give you some of the answers you need, drawing from my own experience.

1) It's best to add a byline under your article title in the document, otherwise you won't be credited as you should be for usage or unique rights if these are purchased. It doesn't have to be your user name. I always use my previous married name, which is how my readers know me.

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) I'm not sure about this. You need to think about who might buy it and whether they will want readers to contact them or use other sites and apps etc. I don't know how the editors would view it.

Good luck.
EmmaC

Re: Some newbie questions - author byline and websites

Post by EmmaC »

hi Jack

Thanks so much for your response. This is really useful information, especially in regards to the byline. I had to wait a few days until this forum post was accepted. In the meantime, I submitted my article and got it accepted. But, I'm not sure how quickly it will sell!

thanks again
Em