quoting books in articles

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

EmmaC

quoting books in articles

Post by EmmaC »

Hello,

I have a question about quoting from books in articles. Do any of you do this, and is the format below the right way to do it? (This isn't my writing, it's from someone else.)

“If you start a positive habit and see that it has a positive effect upon your business or health outcomes, your brain is more willing to utilize resources to continue that behavior and scan for new ones,” said Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage. “The resulting effect is a cascade of success as greater meaning and well-being fuel more successes than garnered by defensive pessimism or cynicism.”

Could you also write, "scan for new ones," said Shawn Achor, in his book The Happiness Advantage. "The resulting..."

I'm also wondering if any authors here interview subjects for articles. If you do, and the articles are on spec, how do you convince someone to do an interview with you when you don't know for certain if the article will sell or where it will be published?

Thanks!

Em
stelle

Re: quoting books in articles

Post by stelle »

EmmaC wrote:
I'm also wondering if any authors here interview subjects for articles. If you do, and the articles are on spec, how do you convince someone to do an interview with you when you don't know for certain if the article will sell or where it will be published?
Honestly, I wouldn't do interviews for CC content. If you're going to do interviews, then you're probably in a different market - maybe it's time to market your own stuff under your own name. The pay at CC is very good for a content site - but if you're chasing down sources, doing interviews, sorting through that information...you're going to end up working for a VERY low hourly wage. Keep it simple!