What inspires you?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

HerbDoctor

What inspires you?

Post by HerbDoctor »

I don't know if it's just that's it's been a long week--and I know there were 2 Mondays--or if I'm just in a rut but I need a major shot of inspiration. What inspires you when the "you're not a real writer" voices start? Where do you go for inspiration?

Lisa
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I find that I have a hard time coming up with subject matter that interests me when I'm tired. Get a good night sleep and then go to your nearest book store and browse. What books do you pick up? Chances are, if you're interested in reading about it you'll be interested to write about it and if the subject matter appealed to you than there are probably customers out there who will be interested as well. I've actually found that I don't like to write about stuff I know extremely well--it's boring for me at that point. I like to research things I don't know a ton about and the excitement I feel from learning about it usually translates into the writing. Finally, I'd say discipline is key. I force myself to write daily and if you look over my articles you'll see I pretty much upload something most week days. Make a game of it. Open the encyclopedia to any page and force yourself to write about something on that page. Well, maybe I shouldn't spill all my trade secrets :roll: but usually hot-selling topics are enough to inspire me. I paid quite a bit of dough to get my MA in English and its about time I earn a bit of a return. Besides, my long term goal is to earn enough a month freelancing to write full time at home and leave my job far behind. Good luck! :lol:
HerbDoctor

Post by HerbDoctor »

Thanks. I guess it's just been a long week. And my son's been home--well, in my office, actually--sick yesterday and today. . . I'm ready for the weekend! Who's up for Mexican food? :wink:
Lizaj

Post by Lizaj »

I had an idea this week. I was parked next door to a strip mall and all the store names were on the outside of the building. I thought that almost every one of them would have made an interesting title for an article...so maybe when you're feeling uninspired, you could go to your nearest mall and write the articles to go with the titles. (local stores sometimes have better names than the chains).

I have a hard time getting inspired sometimes, too. Lately nothing of mine is selling here while similar things are selling all around me. It makes it hard to sit down to a blank page. But it always gets better.

Hope your son feels better.
Sarah81

Re: What inspires you?

Post by Sarah81 »

I make myself sit down, either at the computer or on the couch with my notebook, and write *something*

I'm a fiction writer at heart, but I also do this, so when I'm not coming up with anything for one, I often have something going for the other.

So, switching gears can be very helpful. Try writing poetry or something else that you've never really tried before. You might not get any ideas immediately, and you might not even be very good at the new style, but you'll be writing *something*